My boyfriend and his medication

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Sooo I and my boyfriend have been dating for nearly 8 months now, we were friends for about just over a year and have known each other since we were kids. Anyway, back in February. He started taking medication for his OCD, at the start he was quite grumpy and hardly talked to me and we didn't meet up for a month till he got used too which I understood! We got through it.

Then the past month he hasn't been himself not talking as much or even as crazy as he normally is. Like somethings bothering him then last week or the week before he told me the medication isn't working and they've had to double his dosage. Now ever since he's been really tired and he's been arguing with me quite a bit, like last week we had the biggest argument ever that lasted 3 days!

I met up with him on Sunday and he honestly looked exhausted, he's not the one to communicate but I'm really worried about him...really worried cause I care about him a lot and I don't want to keep having arguments!

I love him a lot and I want to spend the rest of my life with him, when he started first taking his medication I just learnt to give him space and just be there for him when he needed it and he really appreciated it and I think he realised how much I loved him but this time around he's just...I don't know..he's not himself at all.

Sorry for the rant! Any help would be amazing, thanks so much
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Sooo I and my boyfriend have been dating for nearly 8 months now, we were friends for about just over a year and have known each other since we were kids. Anyway, back in February. He started taking medication for his OCD, at the start he was quite grumpy and hardly talked to me and we didn't meet up for a month till he got used too which I understood! We got through it.

Then the past month he hasn't been himself not talking as much or even as crazy as he normally is. Like somethings bothering him then last week or the week before he told me the medication isn't working and they've had to double his dosage. Now ever since he's been really tired and he's been arguing with me quite a bit, like last week we had the biggest argument ever that lasted 3 days!

I met up with him on Sunday and he honestly looked exhausted, he's not the one to communicate but I'm really worried about him...really worried cause I care about him a lot and I don't want to keep having arguments!

I love him a lot and I want to spend the rest of my life with him, when he started first taking his medication I just learnt to give him space and just be there for him when he needed it and he really appreciated it and I think he realised how much I loved him but this time around he's just...I don't know..he's not himself at all.

antidepressants? they make me feel like a zombie too : /
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ciel.)
antidepressants? they make me feel like a zombie too : /
I think so! There is some type of them he did tell me ages ago but I can't remember. I can't imagine the symptoms
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think so! There is some type of them he did tell me ages ago but I can't remember. I can't imagine the symptoms
prob ssris. if it's really bad maybe he needs a lower dose or something
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ciel.)
prob ssris. if it's really bad maybe he needs a lower dose or something
It is! I think so but they actually doubled it a couple of weeks back cause it wasn't working properly or..something. I just don't know what to do
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is! I think so but they actually doubled it a couple of weeks back cause it wasn't working properly or..something. I just don't know what to do
lol, same here, my doctor recently doubled my dose and i feel like shiiii (i take them for depression, not ocd tho)
maybe give it a few weeks, his body might need more time to adjust to the drug. if not then try and encourage him to speak to his doctor about changing the meds
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ciel.)
lol, same here, my doctor recently doubled my dose and i feel like shiiii (i take them for depression, not ocd tho)
maybe give it a few weeks, his body might need more time to adjust to the drug. if not then try and encourage him to speak to his doctor about changing the meds
Oh shiiiiiii...I can't imagine! I hope it gets better for you! Yeah good idea cause it did take about a month and a half last time for him to get back to himself. I'll try do if that happens if I can figure out the wording! but yeah he just seems angry and exhausted
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh shiiiiiii...I can't imagine! I hope it gets better for you! Yeah good idea cause it did take about a month and a half last time for him to get back to himself. I'll try do if that happens if I can figure out the wording! but yeah he just seems angry and exhausted
thanks
hope he feels better soon
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ciel.)
thanks
hope he feels better soon
Thank you
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago

Hiya, first of all it sounds like you've been a really wonderful gf to him. The sad truth is, someone who's being an arse while struggling with their mental health or being on medication is still being an arse. It's can be a reason, but not an excuse for him being argumentative and lacking communication. Please remember that your needs and mental health are as important as his, and he has an equal obligation as you to look after those. I don't know you or your relationship so can't really give any suggestions, but those are some things for you to remember, and maybe let him know these things too. Good luck
Bowlol
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thank you
Antidepressants are hit and miss one might not work while another might for example i have been on a total of 4 different kinds so maybe he could try switching to a different one
Anonymous #1
Hiya, first of all it sounds like you've been a really wonderful gf to him. The sad truth is, someone who's being an arse while struggling with their mental health or being on medication is still being an arse. It's can be a reason, but not an excuse for him being argumentative and lacking communication. Please remember that your needs and mental health are as important as his, and he has an equal obligation as you to look after those. I don't know you or your relationship so can't really give any suggestions, but those are some things for you to remember, and maybe let him know these things too. Good luck
Awww thank you ☺️ yeah of course that's very true! I do think communication is a massive thing in relationships and he can be good at it but I'll definitely talk to him if it gets any worse thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.52%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.96%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
6.09%
I need help with my personal statement (44)
38.26%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.35%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.74%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.09%

Watched Threads