The Student Room Group

Can I drive my mums Audi TT?

Hi so I am 18 and have just passed my test a couple of months ago. I have a Fiat 500 and have fully comp insurance.( I am also the main driver. My mum is an additional driver) Can I drive my mums sports car (Audi TT) if she is also fully comp?
(edited 2 years ago)
Are you an additional driver on hers?
Unlikely, your mum would need to add you to HER insurance, and as soon as she starts saying things like 'Audi' 'Sports' '18 year' old the price will likely skyrocket, she might end up simply getting charged what an 18 year old would. (or worse, they assume fronting)

Some fully comp policies allow you to drive other vehicles third party, yours almost certainly doesn't and your mum would be pretty crazy to let you take a sports car without any cover for the car itself.
Reply 3
Original post by GabiAbi84
Are you an additional driver on hers?

No.. but neither is my 28 year brother. And because he is fully comp as well then he is allowed to drive her car. My dad can also drive my mums car because they are all fully comp
Reply 4
Original post by Ljms2003
No.. but neither is my 28 year brother. And because he is fully comp as well then he is allowed to drive her car. My dad can also drive my mums car because they are all fully comp

It's a common misconception that being fully comp means you can automatically drive any other car (assuming you have the owner's permission).

Yes, some policies allow it, but not all. Chances are, your brother or your dad may be driving without insurance when driving your mum's car and simply don't know it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Why don’t you just phone your insurance company and ask if you’re insured to drive other cars???

You’re never going to find a real answer on here because every insurer is different!
Reply 6
Original post by Ljms2003

If you look at your policy certificate it'll clearly state that you do not have the entitlement to drive other cars given you're only 18.

That entitlement is usually only given to 25+, and even then it's being removed from more and more policies unless specifically requested.

Word of warning to your family... the coverage is third party only.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
It's a common misconception that being fully comp means you can automatically drive any other car (assuming you have the owner's permission).

Yes, some policies allow it, but not all. Chances are, your brother or your dad may be driving without insurance when driving your mum's car and simply don't know it.

Second this. You’re better actually reading your policy. It’ll tell you if you can drive additional vehicles or not. Most of the time, fully comp does not mean you’re entitled to drive other vehicles and it seems a on the specific policy.

Quick Reply

Latest