Jas.acs
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone so I finished year 12 a couple weeks ago and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to prepare for year 13 or if there is anything that I should be doing in the summer holidays school wise to help next year. Or if anyone has any advice about what they wish they knew before going into year 13 that would really help as I'm a bit worried about it
Last edited by Jas.acs; 1 month ago
..M..
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My best advice would definitely be to try as hard as you can in every single mock exam. Like if I had known that due to Covid, all exams would be taken into consideration for our actual A Level results, I would have revised 100 times more 😐 I don’t know how you will be assessed in 2022, but revise loads for every exam just in case!!
Jas.acs
Rep:
?
(Original post by ..M..)
My best advice would definitely be to try as hard as you can in every single mock exam. Like if I had known that due to Covid, all exams would be taken into consideration for our actual A Level results, I would have revised 100 times more 😐 I don’t know how you will be assessed in 2022, but revise loads for every exam just in case!!
Oh yeah I bet that must've been very annoying! I'm praying that we don't get assessed like this for A-levels as well because that's what happened with my GCSE's last year. But thank you for the advice and good luck on your results!
SB1234567890
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you're planning on going to university then start looking at universities/courses if you haven't already and try to complete the first draft at least of your personal statement. Because I had exams in the first week back (end of year 12 exams that were delayed due to covid) I did a lot of revision and, along with the benefit that 2 of them are being used as evidence for our final grade, I'd say even without exams in September is was great at stopping me from coming to mocks and final assessments and forgetting it whereas others I knew were complaining how they hadn't looked over certain content since the chapter had been taught as they didn't revise properly for the September exam.I also bought a planner for year 13 in order to better organisation when I'd do revision/UCAS/EPQ...Overall I'd just say work as hard as you can throughout year 13 so then you know that whatever happens to A levels next year you tried your best and your grades should be a reflection of your efforts
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Start reading etc outside the A level syllabus - you will need examples of ;higher study; for your Personal Statement.
Start with this list from Cambridge (useful for any University) - https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....uggestions.pdf and look at any of these podcast lectures that catch your interest - https://www.gresham.ac.uk/watch/
Jas.acs
Rep:
?
(Original post by SB1234567890)
If you're planning on going to university then start looking at universities/courses if you haven't already and try to complete the first draft at least of your personal statement. Because I had exams in the first week back (end of year 12 exams that were delayed due to covid) I did a lot of revision and, along with the benefit that 2 of them are being used as evidence for our final grade, I'd say even without exams in September is was great at stopping me from coming to mocks and final assessments and forgetting it whereas others I knew were complaining how they hadn't looked over certain content since the chapter had been taught as they didn't revise properly for the September exam.I also bought a planner for year 13 in order to better organisation when I'd do revision/UCAS/EPQ...Overall I'd just say work as hard as you can throughout year 13 so then you know that whatever happens to A levels next year you tried your best and your grades should be a reflection of your efforts
Wow that's amazing advice thank you very much! Do you know of any websites that help you write personal statements as our school have mainly focused on our UCAS applications and EPQ and ideally like you said I'd like to start working on my first draft before September. And yes I will buy a planner to stay more organised!
Jas.acs
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Start reading etc outside the A level syllabus - you will need examples of ;higher study; for your Personal Statement.
Start with this list from Cambridge (useful for any University) - https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....uggestions.pdf and look at any of these podcast lectures that catch your interest - https://www.gresham.ac.uk/watch/
Thank you so much for the advice and the resources I will make sure to check those out!
..M..
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I saw that you mentioned personal statements; all of these helped me a lot when starting mine

https://www.which.co.uk/money/univer...t-a3bfp7h4yv7s

https://www.unifrog.org/know-how/wri...onal-statement

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...onal-statement
SB1234567890
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jas.acs)
Wow that's amazing advice thank you very much! Do you know of any websites that help you write personal statements as our school have mainly focused on our UCAS applications and EPQ and ideally like you said I'd like to start working on my first draft before September. And yes I will buy a planner to stay more organised!
I can't remember specific websites but if you search insert subject personal statement examples, I found websites with lots of different examples so I read through and highlighted a few ideas that I could change the wording of or key words to use. Also, many studytubers (Lydia Violeta, Eve Bennett...) have done viideos on EPQ advice

If you want help with a structure I structured it into these paragraphs
- Why the subject interested me and how the A level had benefitted me (make sure not to use the word passion or make this sound fake/don't use a load of over the top metaphors)
- How my other A levels and EPQ linked to the subject
- Work experience and the benefits provided/what it would have provided if it went ahead (lockdown)
- Extracurricular activities and the skills they show/provided
- Looking forward to university/potential careers I was interested in (I also briefly mentioned a few words to describe me)

Hope this helps
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jas.acs)
Hi everyone so I finished year 12 a couple weeks ago and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to prepare for year 13 or if there is anything that I should be doing in the summer holidays school wise to help next year. Or if anyone has any advice about what they wish they knew before going into year 13 that would really help as I'm a bit worried about it
Hia!

From experience, I would recommend just reading up on some course notes just so that you have concepts fresh in your mind before you go back. Maybe also review the UCAS process if you're thinking of applying to university. If you want to be really keen you could write up a draft or plan your personal statement.

Other than that just get ready for the busy year ahead and relax as much as you can.

Ben - UoP rep
Jas.acs
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SB1234567890)
I can't remember specific websites but if you search insert subject personal statement examples, I found websites with lots of different examples so I read through and highlighted a few ideas that I could change the wording of or key words to use. Also, many studytubers (Lydia Violeta, Eve Bennett...) have done viideos on EPQ advice

If you want help with a structure I structured it into these paragraphs
- Why the subject interested me and how the A level had benefitted me (make sure not to use the word passion or make this sound fake/don't use a load of over the top metaphors)
- How my other A levels and EPQ linked to the subject
- Work experience and the benefits provided/what it would have provided if it went ahead (lockdown)
- Extracurricular activities and the skills they show/provided
- Looking forward to university/potential careers I was interested in (I also briefly mentioned a few words to describe me)

Hope this helps
Apologies for the late reply but thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me. That advice is very helpful and I'll make sure to keep all of that in mind! Thanks once again it has helped very much!
Jas.acs
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hia!

From experience, I would recommend just reading up on some course notes just so that you have concepts fresh in your mind before you go back. Maybe also review the UCAS process if you're thinking of applying to university. If you want to be really keen you could write up a draft or plan your personal statement.

Other than that just get ready for the busy year ahead and relax as much as you can.

Ben - UoP rep
Hi Ben, thank you very much for that advice I think I'm going to be writing my first draft of my personal statement soon and I'll make sure to review the UCAS process because there are still a few things that I need to do! Thanks a lot
oatmilkleader
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A couple of things I would have done differently if I could go into year 13 again:

- start making revision notes early: when it gets to study leave you don't want to be frantically making new revision materials, just going over them, making flashcards doing past-papers etc. etc.
- ask teachers to mark practice essays for you, that's how you will get your grades up by getting feedback from them
- (this may be bit of a personal one but it might be helpful for you anyway) I wish I had thought about taking a gap year more. my school was very keen on us going to university as soon as we had finished school, but I regret not taking a gap year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.51%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (8)
14.04%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
14.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (6)
10.53%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (23)
40.35%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
17.54%

Watched Threads