what books shall i read

Watch
stressingrn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i used to read almost everyday as a kid and my favourite books were from jacqueline wilson. idk why i quit reading but now at 18 i want to get into reading again because i remember how much i enjoyed it. but i have no idea where to start. what book do u recommend? like must-read books that i should read
user342
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Six of crows duology should keep you hooked, I would also recommend the book thief also that's quite long or Khaled Hosseini's books. Some easy but interesting reads off the top of my head would be Illuminae, the knife of never letting go and Gone (they're all book series but of course you don't have to read the rest).
The Malevolent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by stressingrn)
i used to read almost everyday as a kid and my favourite books were from jacqueline wilson. idk why i quit reading but now at 18 i want to get into reading again because i remember how much i enjoyed it. but i have no idea where to start. what book do u recommend? like must-read books that i should read
If you're looking for something other than literature, I'd highly recommend "21 lessons for the 21st century" by Yuval Noah Harari. His writing is some of the most beautiful I've ever seen, and the book itself talks about current affairs in a very interesting and informative way.
leworik300
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you want to get a head start on life, read 12 rules for life, by Jordan B Peterson, and even better (as an extention after reading the book) you could listen to his biblical series on youtube, it's basically a psychological/scientific approach to the idea of god and it is one that (i think) is actually correct and practically useful. He goes over the famous stories in the bible and actually explains what they mean and their origin.
Last edited by leworik300; 1 month ago
summerbirdreads
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
YA books are good for getting back into reading, Radio Silence is a good one
kylalee.x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ok I’ll tell you some of my favourites (mainly YA)

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
The Push
The Wife Upstairs
The Family Upstairs
The Book Thief
We Were Liars
The Song of Achilles

Also make a goodreads account to get good book recommendations, read peoples reviews, keep track of what you’re reading etc etc
userhep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you liked Jacqueline Wilson, that I'd suspect contemporary YA novels would be a good place to start up with reading again. Some personal favourites of mine that I've read over the past year or so are:

Melt My Heart - Bethany Rutter
Full Disclosure - Camryn Garrett
With The Fire On High - Elizabeth Acevedo
The Henna Wars - Adiba Jaigirdar
Date Me, Bryson Keller - Kevin van Whye
The Black Flamingo - Dean Atta
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Books by Cathy glass, Lisa stone and Mike pannett are all amazing and deffo worth a read.
jemima0103
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
One Of Us Is Lying
Oófie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The 'Slated' series is absolutely amazing, 'Cinderella is Dead', and 'Noughts and Crosses' as well. But if your favourite books were Jacqueline Wilson, I'd recommend therapy
mxx454
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Oófie)
The 'Slated' series is absolutely amazing, 'Cinderella is Dead', and 'Noughts and Crosses' as well. But if your favourite books were Jacqueline Wilson, I'd recommend therapy
LOL she was probably young, they weren’t my favourites but they were addictive when i was like 10/11.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nothing by Jordan Peterson that's for damn sure, lmfao. What kind of stuff are you interested in? There's a million and one books out there.
mxx454
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ace of spades by Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé
The poppy war by R.F Kuang
An ember in the ashes by Sabaa Tahir
The atlas six by Olivia Blake

Check out #booktok on tik tok there’s like thousands of recommendations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.43%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.57%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.57%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.71%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (47)
26.86%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.86%

Watched Threads