University Study Abroad Finance

Watch
tj128
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello,

I am a current undergrad student going into second year. I would really like to do a study abroad but I really don’t know if I will be able to afford it. If I did it in Europe I would be able to, but my preference is the United States. I know for a study abroad year in the US, you have to get a J1 visa which would require you to show proof of funds of around £12,000, and that’d probably be in February at the latest. Does anyone know of any grants or anything, or how to fund a study abroad? Surely there is some way and it can’t be impossible. If it means anything, I do come from a low income family too.

Thank you!
soph_12349
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tj128)
Hello,

I am a current undergrad student going into second year. I would really like to do a study abroad but I really don’t know if I will be able to afford it. If I did it in Europe I would be able to, but my preference is the United States. I know for a study abroad year in the US, you have to get a J1 visa which would require you to show proof of funds of around £12,000, and that’d probably be in February at the latest. Does anyone know of any grants or anything, or how to fund a study abroad? Surely there is some way and it can’t be impossible. If it means anything, I do come from a low income family too.

Thank you!
Hi i was looking at studying abroad in America and had to show proof of funds. When you study abroad you are eligible to receive more student loan and grants, there are schemes which also help you out with this such as the Santander travel grants (I would contact your university about this). Also you are able to claim back money on visas/flights ect that exceed a certain amount. I would recommend definitely looking into it as you can receive a lot of financial help
tj128
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by soph_12349)
Hi i was looking at studying abroad in America and had to show proof of funds. When you study abroad you are eligible to receive more student loan and grants, there are schemes which also help you out with this such as the Santander travel grants (I would contact your university about this). Also you are able to claim back money on visas/flights ect that exceed a certain amount. I would recommend definitely looking into it as you can receive a lot of financial help
Thank you for your reply! Yes I'm aware I'm able to get a larger maintenance loan, but of course I wouldn't receive this until September, so how would I go about using this as proof of funds? When do you have to show proof of funds? I'm also looking into the Turing Scheme. The only possible way I'd be able to is if I was able to get the Turing Scheme too. Do you think this is possible just using finance and grants and no savings?
soph_12349
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tj128)
Thank you for your reply! Yes I'm aware I'm able to get a larger maintenance loan, but of course I wouldn't receive this until September, so how would I go about using this as proof of funds? When do you have to show proof of funds? I'm also looking into the Turing Scheme. The only possible way I'd be able to is if I was able to get the Turing Scheme too. Do you think this is possible just using finance and grants and no savings?
Hi so i actually ended up applying to study in spain instead of America but I do think the university are able to help you a lot financially and that the student finance and grants will be enough. With the proof of funds it may be possible to get a letter from student finance stating that you will receive sufficient funds for the study abroad year, I recommend getting some advice from your uni and emailing student finance about this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.67%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (36)
16.59%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15.21%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (58)
26.73%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.35%

Watched Threads