Master degree in Oxbridge and other prestigious universities

Watch
EmiEmi999
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello guys!

I am currently a year 2 student majoring in childhood studies with management at the university of Bristol. I am planning to apply to Oxbridge and other prestigious university for my master degree in education (or somewhat around that) next year! My first year average was 65 and this year I improved to 69%. I am wondering whether I would stand a chance for Oxbridge? I actually had many work experiences in both education (worked at schools as counselor assistant and teacher assistant) and also in management (worked for a company). I am quite nervous about applying to oxbridge as it seems so impossible to get in. Also, I am also planning to apply to UCL, KCL, Edinburgh and maybe other too universities that have my course. I am wondering whether graduated from Bristol will makes my application looks a bit better? Honestly, I am not even sure if bristol is actually a prestigious university.

Can someone also tell me about the application process and choosing college work for Oxbridge?

I would also be delighted to hear from those who are studying or graduated from UCL, KCL and other prestigious universities about theiri application process and all.
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by EmiEmi999)
Hello guys!

I am currently a year 2 student majoring in childhood studies with management at the university of Bristol. I am planning to apply to Oxbridge and other prestigious university for my master degree in education (or somewhat around that) next year! My first year average was 65 and this year I improved to 69%. I am wondering whether I would stand a chance for Oxbridge? I actually had many work experiences in both education (worked at schools as counselor assistant and teacher assistant) and also in management (worked for a company). I am quite nervous about applying to oxbridge as it seems so impossible to get in. Also, I am also planning to apply to UCL, KCL, Edinburgh and maybe other too universities that have my course. I am wondering whether graduated from Bristol will makes my application looks a bit better? Honestly, I am not even sure if bristol is actually a prestigious university.

Can someone also tell me about the application process and choosing college work for Oxbridge?

I would also be delighted to hear from those who are studying or graduated from UCL, KCL and other prestigious universities about theiri application process and all.
You wluld never know your chances unless you try. I suggest you start now to gather your application file. Also apply as early as you can to meet any application or funding deadlines.

Colleges are sort of halls of residence that is more relevant at UG level than PG level. Some people choose colleges based on age, location, tradition and other personal reasons such as personal or family connection. Some colleges are oversubscribed such as Kings, Trinity and St Johns. So you should either apply really early in the application cycle or choose other colleges.

Some features to think about:
1. Size: Large, Medium or Small
2. Proximity: close to your department or other places you might fancy
3. College costs
4. Whether the College provides post-graduate accommodation and where they are located
5. Facilities: sports, academic, welfare etc.
6. Age: Ancient or modern
7. Aesthetics: Please note that many postgrads dont get to live in the College‘s main site.

Obviously some people may not mind where they end up, but some seem to do. If you are part of the latter group, please consider your choices before selecting your preferences.

Finally, please know that Kings, Trinity and St John’s are among the most-selected preferences, so competition to those Colleges are fierce and many people miss out. You may be better place to select another College rather than “waste” a choice.

Some links for you:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TMk2c6Kh_z8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1T42ex43u48&t=127s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fVyJDV6igLk

Here is a link that was created by Sandtrooper and threeportdrift. Good luck

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6930482

PS: feel free to join the 2022 community here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2#post95587662
EmiEmi999
Rep:
?
Thank you so much! That’s very informative and helpful to me! I will definitely check those links out! I am wondering whether it is possible to not choose any college? I really just wanna get in Oxbridge and doesn’t care much about whichever college or so.
Thanks again!
OxFossil
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much! That’s very informative and helpful to me! I will definitely check those links out! I am wondering whether it is possible to not choose any college? I really just wanna get in Oxbridge and doesn’t care much about whichever college or so.
Thanks again!
As far as Oxford goes, although you nominally choose a college when applying, the process is different to that for undergraduates. For PGs, your application is considered by the university-wide department, and only after they have decided to make an offer will your application get allocated to a college. What's more, you are highly likely to be allocated a college on the basis of whichhever college has a place with the required supervision staff. So your choice is probably fairly irrelevant.
Having said that, I see you've posted this in the "disabled students" forum. If you have particular needs relating to disability, do check out what the college(s) that offer your course are like. You can do this either by contacting the college(s) directly, or talking to the Disability Advisory Service https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/welfare/disability .
Bristol is a well respected university; the important thing about your application will be to appreciate that Oxford is looking for a strong academic record. You'll need to aim at a first in your finals.
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks again!
For Cambridge, you can select “No Preference” and the system automatically allocates a College for you. I’d advice you to consider the Colleges and select one that you would want to be part of. Some people in the past have regretted not choosing a College because the system selected one that did not meet their needs.

If you want some examples, you could consider Selwyn, Jesus, Trinity Hall, Peterhouse, Downing or Clare.
EmiEmi999
Rep:
?
(Original post by OxFossil)
As far as Oxford goes, although you nominally choose a college when applying, the process is different to that for undergraduates. For PGs, your application is considered by the university-wide department, and only after they have decided to make an offer will your application get allocated to a college. What's more, you are highly likely to be allocated a college on the basis of whichhever college has a place with the required supervision staff. So your choice is probably fairly irrelevant.
Having said that, I see you've posted this in the "disabled students" forum. If you have particular needs relating to disability, do check out what the college(s) that offer your course are like. You can do this either by contacting the college(s) directly, or talking to the Disability Advisory Service https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/welfare/disability .
Bristol is a well respected university; the important thing about your application will be to appreciate that Oxford is looking for a strong academic record. You'll need to aim at a first in your finals.
Thanks! I would definitely try harder next year! I am just worrying about my lack of work experience that might hinder my application. Though I did many work experiences during my summer break but I had not officially work yet. Hopefully it will not affect my application! Thanks again for your reply!
EmiEmi999
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wired_1800)
For Cambridge, you can select “No Preference” and the system automatically allocates a College for you. I’d advice you to consider the Colleges and select one that you would want to be part of. Some people in the past have regretted not choosing a College because the system selected one that did not meet their needs.

If you want some examples, you could consider Selwyn, Jesus, Trinity Hall, Peterhouse, Downing or Clare.
Thanks! I would check this out! I should definitely have a preference as I am pretty much an introvert and do not like noisy places and parties 😕.
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks! I would check this out! I should definitely have a preference as I am pretty much an introvert and do not like noisy places and parties 😕.
Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads