GCSE Math for mature students

Watch
poshwizzard
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi. Can anyone recommend a GCSE math course for mature students? I'm 31. Looking to get into uni next year and need to complete this first. What would be the best tier: foundation or higher? Many thanks
Helma1277
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, are you sure you need GCSE? Because I doing my functional skill level 2 for University.
If they accept functional skill level 2 I can recommend you a place.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by poshwizzard)
Hi. Can anyone recommend a GCSE math course for mature students? I'm 31. Looking to get into uni next year and need to complete this first. What would be the best tier: foundation or higher? Many thanks
I'd look for an evening course near you.

It would be easier to do Foundation unless you need a 6.

These resorces might help: https://www.missbsresources.com/teac...mathspassports

BBC Bitesize is good too.
poshwizzard
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helma1277)
Hi, are you sure you need GCSE? Because I doing my functional skill level 2 for University.
If they accept functional skill level 2 I can recommend you a place.
Hi. Yes the uni I am interested in does not accept functional skills. Only GCSE. Thanks
Tw1x
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi. Yes the uni I am interested in does not accept functional skills. Only GCSE. Thanks
What grade do you need?
poshwizzard
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tw1x)
What grade do you need?
Hi. I need a C/4. I am not sure if foundation or higher would be best. Last time I did math was about 14 years ago! Many thanks.
Tw1x
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi. I need a C/4. I am not sure if foundation or higher would be best. Last time I did math was about 14 years ago! Many thanks.
I'm not sure to be honest, I was taught at school it was easier to get a C on higher than foundation but I honestly don't know if this has changed as the new system confuses me. Maybe do some practise papers of both and see how you get on? Have you made a plan on whether you are going to self teach or go to a evening class etc? Do you definitely need to sit GCSE maths for where you want to be?
Winner winner
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I did mine in the evening one day a week, through the local adult education centre. It meant it was free and that my tutor could help to decide higher or foundation. She approved me for higher but I felt more confident of getting the 4 from foundation. I got a 5 in the end, which is the highest you can get on foundation. So that is something to consider when making the choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (17)
7.3%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (35)
15.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (40)
17.17%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.59%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (62)
26.61%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (45)
19.31%

Watched Threads