International student Medicine application (A.Y. 2022-23 entry)

Watch
1Serene
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, everyone!

I'm an international student, awaiting my A-Level results due next Tuesday.

I believe I'll do well enough in Bio & Math, but I'm concerned about my Chem final grade. At the time of doing the work for chemistry evaluation, I was going through a lot in my personal life (as I'm sure we all were at some point this year). I'm expecting:

Bio - A*
Math - A*
Chem - B

Can anyone give me advice on what to expect if I receive these grades and am aiming to apply to medical schools this October? Are there any specific universities that may be more likely to give me an offer, based on previous years?

Thank you and all the best to everyone awaiting results day 2021!
BG94
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am afraid to be the bearer of bad news but unless you have done your admissions tests I cannot judge your application well.
As for just grades, medical schools in the UK want you to be exact with your grades to guarantee entry to medical schools, this means a minimum of AAA and nothing more (not even A* in 2 subjects help). This is all because of grade inflation and the pandemic that had caused chaos in the admissions cycles the last 2 years (2020 and 2021) which will affect 2022 to the point that there are going to be really strict with entry requirements.
https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...d-entry-grades
So pandemic is no more an excuse anymore! Which to be honest it is sad because it brings a lot of disadvantages especially to the socially disadvantaged groups and localities where such schools are located.

P.S-Which schools are you planning to apply btw? Buckingham can offer you a place with those scores!
Last edited by BG94; 1 month ago
SyedN
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would avoid Buckingham as their fees are £38k for home and international students, but since you say you're an international I'm assuming you would get charged international fees regardless hence you could apply there.

For better options I would say just take a gap year and resit chem if it's below an A and then apply again as more places will be open for you to apply to with an AAA or above.
BG94
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SyedN)
I would avoid Buckingham as their fees are £38k for home and international students, but since you say you're an international I'm assuming you would get charged international fees regardless hence you could apply there.

For better options I would say just take a gap year and resit chem if it's below an A and then apply again as more places will be open for you to apply to with an AAA or above.
Yeah hence I suggested Buckingham, because for home student definitely Buckingham ain't feasible
1Serene
Rep:
?
(Original post by BG94)
I am afraid to be the bearer of bad news but unless you have done your admissions tests I cannot judge your application well.
As for just grades, medical schools in the UK want you to be exact with your grades to guarantee entry to medical schools, this means a minimum of AAA and nothing more (not even A* in 2 subjects help). This is all because of grade inflation and the pandemic that had caused chaos in the admissions cycles the last 2 years (2020 and 2021) which will affect 2022 to the point that there are going to be really strict with entry requirements.
https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...d-entry-grades
So pandemic is no more an excuse anymore! Which to be honest it is sad because it brings a lot of disadvantages especially to the socially disadvantaged groups and localities where such schools are located.

P.S-Which schools are you planning to apply btw? Buckingham can offer you a place with those scores!
Hi! Thanks for your informative response!
With A*A*A, I would've applied to Manchester, UCL & Nottingham (or Bristol).
Anything in particular I should know about these schools before applying (if I make the grades)?
1Serene
Rep:
?
(Original post by SyedN)

Hi! Thanks for your informative response! I'll be sure to consider your advice if push comes to shove !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads