Home student fees status at Imperial College London?

Watch
zecretive
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm a British student currently living overseas, planning on applying for Medicine but aiming to get classified as a home student (I know it is definitely possible and happens quite often, I live somewhere with a high volume of British Expats who move back to the UK for uni).

I've heard that Imperial College London is more strict with classifying fees status, are there any ICL students on here who lived abroad and got classified as home students? I want to apply to Imperial but if they are less likely to offer me home student fees I can't waste a UCAS spot on them.

I would appreciate any experiences from anyone who has experienced a similar situation, thank you!!
Elriktab
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends on your circumstance entirely. Ideally to be a home student you have to complete your last two years of study in a UK school, if not then you have to submit a file of evidence by email. This includes things like bank statements and bills for water, electricity that your parents have paid, proof that you have visited the UK regularly while you were away (boarding tickets etc), proof that your family owns a property in the UK, proof of your parents employment in your country of current residence.
Basically anything that proves you and your family to be close to the UK is relevant and the reasons why you couldn't finish your studies in the UK are also relevant. If you are studying outside the UK because your parents moved away (on a temporary basis) and you have to live with them in your country of residence for example then the university has to treat you with the full rights of a normal UK student and you get home student status.
On the other hand if you have never lived in the UK and your parents have nothing to prove that your family is attached to the UK by land/ business ownership or family relatives etc then being a British citizen isn't enough to get you a home student status and you have to pay overseas fees.
Edit: I forgot to mention that each university can deem you to be home/overseas at its own discrepancy, so it's entirely possible that one university will say you're a home student and the other will say you're overseas. If you are displeased with what the university decided then you have the right to challenge their decision in a court in which case you would have to rely on the same evidence files you supplied to the university for their decision making.
Last edited by Elriktab; 1 month ago
Imperial students
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zecretive)
I'm a British student currently living overseas, planning on applying for Medicine but aiming to get classified as a home student (I know it is definitely possible and happens quite often, I live somewhere with a high volume of British Expats who move back to the UK for uni).

I've heard that Imperial College London is more strict with classifying fees status, are there any ICL students on here who lived abroad and got classified as home students? I want to apply to Imperial but if they are less likely to offer me home student fees I can't waste a UCAS spot on them.

I would appreciate any experiences from anyone who has experienced a similar situation, thank you!!
Hi!

I'm Anudi, a student rep at Imperial. Unfortunately I don't have experience with this, but I do know that most info and advice on finding what your fee status is can be found here: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/...es/fee-status/

The link above has a couple of sections, I hope they help you find the information you're looking for! If not, do let me know and I can try to find out more.

All the best!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads