Level 3 course in college or foundation in uni?

Watch
Lol_Why
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
In college I studied for only the one year of the two year course, Level 3 Art and Design extended diploma. However, I never had the chance to complete my second year and was hoping if I could. However, after contacting my college about this, they instead gave me the option to redo my course and start from beginning as the course had changed to a new specification from the one I did from when I was studying.

I’m hoping to eventually apply for university animation degree soon but would need to pass my course in college first and I was wondering if I could just do the foundation instead or if I’m better off retaking my course in college?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You'll have many more options available if you take your L3 qualifications in college.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lol_Why)
In college I studied for only the one year of the two year course, Level 3 Art and Design extended diploma. However, I never had the chance to complete my second year and was hoping if I could. However, after contacting my college about this, they instead gave me the option to redo my course and start from beginning as the course had changed to a new specification from the one I did from when I was studying.

I’m hoping to eventually apply for university animation degree soon but would need to pass my course in college first and I was wondering if I could just do the foundation instead or if I’m better off retaking my course in college?
It's very likely you will need to do your Level 3 qualification before starting a foundation year and this will give you more options.

However, if you are now over 19, funding the diploma may be tricky. If you can get onto a foundation year, you may find it easier to get funding for that.
University of the Arts London
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lol_Why)

Hello Lol_Why

I'm not sure what other qualifications you may hold, however the following information may be helpful:

The standard entry requirements for a Foundation in Art and Design course include one or a combination of the following accepted full level 3 qualifications:
1 A Level or equivalent
Or equivalent Level 3/EU/International qualifications, such as International Baccalaureate Certificates – two at ‘Higher Level’ and one at ‘Standard Level’ - all Grade 4 or above.
And three GCSE passes at grade 4 or above (grade A*-C).
Entry to this course will also be determined by assessment of your portfolio.

You may be interested in the BA (Hons) Animation course at UAL - this course does not require a foundation, however you would need to complete the Level 3 qualification or alternatively if you are a mature student (over 19) you may want to look at an Access to HE course.

For BA (Hons) Animation, the standard entry requirements are:
96 UCAS tariff points which can be made up of one or a combination of the following accepted full level 3 qualifications:
A Levels at grade C or above (preferred subjects include: English; History; Media; Business; Art and Design, or other subjects within Social Sciences).
Pass at Foundation Diploma in Art & Design (Level 3 or 4).
Merit, Merit, Merit at BTEC Extended Diploma (preferred subjects: Art and Design, IT & Computing).
Merit at UAL Extended Diploma.
Access to Higher Education Diploma (preferred subject: Digital and Creative Media, Film and Production, Computing).
OR equivalent EU/International qualifications, such as International Baccalaureate Diploma at 24 points minimum
And 3 GCSE passes at grade 4 or above (grade A*-C)

Entry to this course is also determined by assessment of your portfolio, personal statement and references.

Best wishes,

Sian
UK Student Recruitment Officer
Last edited by University of the Arts London; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
7.5%
I need help researching courses (3)
7.5%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
7.5%
I need help with my personal statement (20)
50%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (8)
20%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.5%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
5%

Watched Threads