coochieman33
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
At the minute I do a level sociology, photography and a criminology diploma and I think I have decent grades and I think I’m quite good at them. So I’ve just finished my first year and in September I’ll be going into my second year but I have absolutely no idea what I wanna do as like a job and stuff in the future.
After I left secondary school I did childcare at a different college for a year and absolutely detested it (I didn’t really like the course and the people also weren’t very nice) so I moved to the college I’m currently at in September to do the a levels I’m currently doing and am really enjoying. I’m just panicking because I don’t want to get really excited about doing a course like I did with childcare just to find out I actually really don’t like it at all.
I really do wanna go to uni and do a criminology and sociology degree but I’m really worried I’m not smart enough and I’m gonna fail. It doesn’t help that my mum doesn’t really seem keen about the idea of me going to uni because I don’t think she really sees the point and thinks it’s a waste of money (I wouldn’t be living on campus anyway I’d be going somewhere local and living at home so it’d be much cheaper anyway). I just don’t really know how to talk to convince her it’s worth it when I’m not even 100% sure that I’m gonna be doing a degree that I’m gonna enjoy and be good at anyway.
In case you can’t tell I’m kind of panicking a lot about it lol so any advice would be appreciated
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The great thing about being an adult, is that you don't have to convince your mum you're doing the right thing. You can just do it.

Present it to her as a done deal, offer her some rent from your student loan, and I'm sure she won't object. Tell her you're aware it may not be financially "worth it" but this is what you want to do.

If you're doing well with your A-levels, then you're clever enough for uni- that's pretty much the point of A-levels.

And a degree of any kind will open up a lot of doors- it doesn't have to lead to a specific job to be worth it for your career.
University of Kent Reps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by coochieman33)
At the minute I do a level sociology, photography and a criminology diploma and I think I have decent grades and I think I’m quite good at them. So I’ve just finished my first year and in September I’ll be going into my second year but I have absolutely no idea what I wanna do as like a job and stuff in the future.
After I left secondary school I did childcare at a different college for a year and absolutely detested it (I didn’t really like the course and the people also weren’t very nice) so I moved to the college I’m currently at in September to do the a levels I’m currently doing and am really enjoying. I’m just panicking because I don’t want to get really excited about doing a course like I did with childcare just to find out I actually really don’t like it at all.
I really do wanna go to uni and do a criminology and sociology degree but I’m really worried I’m not smart enough and I’m gonna fail. It doesn’t help that my mum doesn’t really seem keen about the idea of me going to uni because I don’t think she really sees the point and thinks it’s a waste of money (I wouldn’t be living on campus anyway I’d be going somewhere local and living at home so it’d be much cheaper anyway). I just don’t really know how to talk to convince her it’s worth it when I’m not even 100% sure that I’m gonna be doing a degree that I’m gonna enjoy and be good at anyway.
In case you can’t tell I’m kind of panicking a lot about it lol so any advice would be appreciated
Hey coochieman33!

I was in a similar situation when I began my undergraduate degree three years ago. I was the first person in my family to go do my A-Levels and go to University, and for those who haven't done either, it can seem quite pointless. However, there's an extreme amount of value in a University degree. Many professional roles request at least a degree, no matter what subject, they like to see a degree as it proves you have a dedication to something. This report here shows that across a lifetime, HE-graduates can earn up to 60% more compared to their non-graduate counterparts. If you're earning £30,000 a year as a non-graduate, that's potentially £48,000 as a graduate.

It's also worth showing your Mum that University's are experts in their fields, and want to help students achieve success. For example, the University of Kent has an excellent Criminology course, and it shows with it's accolades such as being ranked 1st in the UK for Criminology research quality in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021 and TEF Gold for teaching excellence. Criminology is apart of the school SSPSSR (Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research), which is the school I studied within, and the lecturers and seminar leaders are superb. Some of the notable staff for Criminology include Dr Thomas D Akoensi who both studied and taught at the University of Cambridge previously; Dr Michael Mills who is a editor and peer-reviewer for several major academic journals and helped with BBC 1 documentaries in his field of expertise. Being apart of SSPSSR, they have a great newly-built centre and also host many guest speakers and meetings for the students. If you want more specific information on our Criminology and Sociology course, more information can be found here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/360/criminology-and-sociology

As SarcAndSpark excellently put, present it to her as a done deal. You're entering adulthood, and it's your opportunity to choose the direction you go in life. You alone get to choose whether you go to University, it's not a choice that someone makes for you.

I hope this has helped! Feel free to ask any more questions
- Nathan
UKC Rep
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
coochieman33
Hello! I really struggled at school and dropped out of education, but after some emotional re-tooling, I went back to college and then went on to get a 1st Class BA (Hons) Sociology degree.

I've also taught in the social sciences for around 10 years and I find that a lot of students in the area sometimes lack confidence, I think it is because people are not studying something tangible - it is about ideas, so it is difficult to self reflect on the knowledge you have learnt.

Have you considered doing your degree online with a provider like Arden University? I'm just working on my MSc there. There are a whole mix of social science type degree's https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/subj...logy-sociology there are also some onsite study center's too for blended learning if that interests you

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi coochieman33

I
'm currently in my second year at Lancaster University studying Social Work and I completed a minor in Sociology in my first year. Having also been in a position wherein my A-Levels I completed a childcare course and didn't enjoy it, I can understand the worry you may be feeling about making a decision again and being worried you will regret it.

I can't speak on behalf of other universities however I know my University at Lancaster encourages students to take a minor subject and a major subject in their first year. The reason for doing so is if students are unsure on what course they want to decide on, this can give them the experience of two subjects they are interested in and give them insight into another course.

Whilst not all universities will offer this, I'm sure a lot of universities offer taster sessions for different subjects which could give you an insight into how the course runs, the different modules and if it suits you best. Did you have a specific university you were looking at already? And have you looked at the course they offer and the modules included? This could be a good place to start.

I'm more than happy to discuss this further with you if needed, and the best of luck in the future! - Kerrie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed