Black Sensei
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm in year 12 and I'm going into year 13 with mocks in September. I'm usually getting Cs/Ds and my aim is to get my grade up to an A/A* (Though this may sound aspirational) by then.

I'm doing Pure, Statistics and Mechanics but any advice or tips would be much appreciated
The Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First things first, what do you want to study at uni? Most people who choose further mathematics want to do a degree in mathematics, physics, engineering etc...

I'm only asking because the advice you'll get will often depend on whether you choose a math-intensive degree or not.
Black Sensei
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Malevolent)
First things first, what do you want to study at uni? Most people who choose further mathematics want to do a degree in mathematics, physics, engineering etc...

I'm only asking because the advice you'll get will often depend on whether you choose a math-intensive degree or not.
I'm planning to do computer science
The Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Black Sensei)
I'm planning to do computer science
Alright then,

Mathematics is one of those subjects that requires you to solve as many exercises as possible to improve. So try to not just read a worked solution, but instead try to solve the problem yourself, and then compare and contrast. Reading a solution creates the illusion that you can recreate it in an exam, but trust me, this is not the case.

Also, one of the most important things in mathematics is trying to understand exactly why something is the way it is. Many people will just try to memorize things they don't understand. I encourage you to ask as many questions as possible, because the memorizing bit will become much easier once you've cleared things up in your head.

In further mathematics you will have a choice of which modules to do (I don't know your exam board but It's pretty much the same for all of them). One which you should try to focus on is Decision Mathematics, since this will introduce you to Algorithms and Graph theory, which are absolutely essential in computer science. In the Further Pure section you will also encounter Matrices for the first time. These are also very very common in computer science, so a good knowledge of them is useful.

Of course the ideal course of action would be to focus on everything, and try to acquire as much knowledge as possible, but I realize that's not always feasible, so I just gave you some suggestions.

Anyway, good luck! If you have any further questions don't hesitate!
Black Sensei
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Malevolent)
Alright then,

Mathematics is one of those subjects that requires you to solve as many exercises as possible to improve. So try to not just read a worked solution, but instead try to solve the problem yourself, and then compare and contrast. Reading a solution creates the illusion that you can recreate it in an exam, but trust me, this is not the case.

Also, one of the most important things in mathematics is trying to understand exactly why something is the way it is. Many people will just try to memorize things they don't understand. I encourage you to ask as many questions as possible, because the memorizing bit will become much easier once you've cleared things up in your head.

In further mathematics you will have a choice of which modules to do (I don't know your exam board but It's pretty much the same for all of them). One which you should try to focus on is Decision Mathematics, since this will introduce you to Algorithms and Graph theory, which are absolutely essential in computer science. In the Further Pure section you will also encounter Matrices for the first time. These are also very very common in computer science, so a good knowledge of them is useful.

Of course the ideal course of action would be to focus on everything, and try to acquire as much knowledge as possible, but I realize that's not always feasible, so I just gave you some suggestions.

Anyway, good luck! If you have any further questions don't hesitate!
Thank you so much for the response!

I am guilty of checking worked solutions when trying out problems so I'll try not to do that and I'll also try doing as much questions that I can. Decision maths does seem like a really interesting module so I will make sure to have a look at that.

Thank you again for the reply though and I will do!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
2.74%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
15.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (12)
16.44%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
10.96%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (28)
38.36%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (12)
16.44%

Watched Threads