Olivialongmuir
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I am planning on applying to uni next year and OT is what I wanted to do for a while, what experience did you have to get in? Thank you.
Mayhee54
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m a mature international student, and I’ve been doing OT-related work for a long time. I applied for an MSc course which I will start in September. My experience was living in a Camphill community (living and working with young adults with special needs) for five years, teaching adaptive ski lessons for six winters, supporting neurodiverse students in a mainstream school for five years, and working at a neurodiverse summer camp program this summer. A lot of my jobs involved working directly with OTs and that was brought up in my interview. I’ve been out of uni for awhile, so I also took some prerequisite classes (these were required to apply to OT programs in the US) like anatomy and physiology, lifespan psychology, and abnormal psychology. It sounds like other students in my course have a variety of experiences in the field, but working at SEN schools is common or working in healthcare jobs that work closely with OTs. Hope that helps!
Olivialongmuir
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Mayhee54)
I’m a mature international student, and I’ve been doing OT-related work for a long time. I applied for an MSc course which I will start in September. My experience was living in a Camphill community (living and working with young adults with special needs) for five years, teaching adaptive ski lessons for six winters, supporting neurodiverse students in a mainstream school for five years, and working at a neurodiverse summer camp program this summer. A lot of my jobs involved working directly with OTs and that was brought up in my interview. I’ve been out of uni for awhile, so I also took some prerequisite classes (these were required to apply to OT programs in the US) like anatomy and physiology, lifespan psychology, and abnormal psychology. It sounds like other students in my course have a variety of experiences in the field, but working at SEN schools is common or working in healthcare jobs that work closely with OTs. Hope that helps!
Hi, thank you for the help! I have and am currently volunteering at different groups for example care homes, a nursery and special needs classes and holiday club to gain experience with different groups. Thanks for giving me some for ideas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads