To what extent would you make a good teacher whether at school or university?

Watch
username1240252
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Have you ever wondered what kind of teacher would you be? What would be the pros and cons of having you as a teacher?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm good at both (not tooting my own horn, but all of my feedback over the oast 7 years ish confirms this).
username1240252
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
I'm good at both (not tooting my own horn, but all of my feedback over the oast 7 years ish confirms this).
Nice, what subjects do you usually teach and was it at secondary school or university (or both)?
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Robert Walpole)
Nice, what subjects do you usually teach and was it at secondary school or university (or both)?
Both

Philosophy, religion, Indology
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've no idea. but I'm not very patient, confident, don't think I could plan and execute a lesson plan well, or mange a class well.

although I would describe myself as empathetic if that counts for anything :dontknow:
username1240252
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
I've no idea. but I'm not very patient, confident, don't think I could plan and execute a lesson plan well, or mange a class well.

although I would describe myself as empathetic if that counts for anything :dontknow:
To be fair you sound very sensible in most of the threads on TSR but I can see how managing a class can be challenging even for someone who might be otherwise a really good teacher

(Original post by gjd800)
Both

Philosophy, religion, Indology
Interesting I did not know we had someone active with 7 years + of actual teaching experience on TSR
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Robert Walpole)
To be fair you sound very sensible in most of the threads on TSR but I can see how managing a class can be challenging even for someone who might be otherwise a really good teacher

Interesting I did not know we had someone active with 7 years + of actual teaching experience on TSR
There are a few of us dotted about!
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think I would make a good teacher. My teachers used to let me into their lessons in Year 12 to help out or sometimes even teach!

I’m not very patient though.
Last edited by 5hyl33n; 1 month ago
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would not make a good teacher unless I was teaching top-set, disciplined students.
a) I’m not particularly patient, so after the third time, if the student still doesn’t understand the answer to a maths equation, I start to visibly get frustrated (my sibling can vouch for this)
b) I like doing and completing tasks in an orderly and timely manner - which is never going to work out in a class with 30-odd students.
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by salamjakodsmka)
i was a tutor for like 2 years and all the kids loved me
one guy even bought in a spiderman drawing for me 😭🥺
and i love kids in the least noncey way possible
i wouldnt want to be a uni teacher cus im not intimidating and id feel like no one would listen to me lmao
yeah same haha
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think I'd be average, like the one everyone forgets.
Son of the Sea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by salamjakodsmka)
i love kids in the least noncey way possible
This is a T-shirt worthy quote.
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd like to say I could have (or develop) the skills in theory, but I'd probably get in front of a big class and instantly forget how to talk I do enjoy teaching, but I think for now I'm at my limit with small group/individual tutoring - it's much easier to make engaging and well-targeted lessons when you only have a small group of students who all actually choose to be there!

I could definitely never do uni teaching though, I'm terrified of anyone over the age of 18 :lol:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd make a terrible school teacher. I like to think I'd be good at the pastoral and lecture/seminar side of teaching at a uni though :moon: Not that I'd ever do either - health can't withstand either role :nah:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads