The Student Room Group

Is it okay if you don't get an A in Chemistry for Veterinary Medicine

Hi, I'm currently in Year 13 taking chemistry, biology and psychology and I'm about to start my application to vet schools and most of the schools expect all As or AAB in A levels. I was wondering if it was okay to get an A in psychology and biology but only get a B in chemistry, or do i need an A in chemistry and the other two A levels don't matter as much?Really sorry if this doesn't make much sense
Original post by hazeln1
Hi, I'm currently in Year 13 taking chemistry, biology and psychology and I'm about to start my application to vet schools and most of the schools expect all As or AAB in A levels. I was wondering if it was okay to get an A in psychology and biology but only get a B in chemistry, or do i need an A in chemistry and the other two A levels don't matter as much?Really sorry if this doesn't make much sense

Hi, you’re best off checking the unis websites for the requirements, but usually it’s either straight As or As in bio and chem and a B in your 3rd subject. I know that Nottingham and Harper Keele both ask for AAB but the As have to be in biology and chemistry as these subjects are more relevant to the vet course. Surrey also ask for AAB but not sure if they have subject specific requirements and I think the rest of the unis ask for AAA apart from Cambridge which is A*AA. I applied this year for veterinary and am currently waiting for my results so if you need any help with your application just let me know :smile:
The majority of vet unis clearly state in their admissions websites that the As have to be in biology and chemistry, and if they want AAB that the B is in the third subject. As far as I'm aware this is the case for all AAB unis unless you have got a contextual offer (some will lower the grades and some have said the B can be in any subject) and/or applied to gateway courses. Unfortunately they have all the leg room to be fussy as there is often 10 applicants per spot and most will reach the requirements so it is in your best interests to reach them, but some unis may be more lenient if you're otherwise a good candidate, and Nottingham do not look at predicted grades - but it is obviously a greater gamble and ideally you do get an A in chemistry.
Reply 3
Original post by hazeln1

I got AAB with a B in chem and I got into vet school. In my final year now
Reply 4
Original post by PurpleVet
Hi, you’re best off checking the unis websites for the requirements, but usually it’s either straight As or As in bio and chem and a B in your 3rd subject. I know that Nottingham and Harper Keele both ask for AAB but the As have to be in biology and chemistry as these subjects are more relevant to the vet course. Surrey also ask for AAB but not sure if they have subject specific requirements and I think the rest of the unis ask for AAA apart from Cambridge which is A*AA. I applied this year for veterinary and am currently waiting for my results so if you need any help with your application just let me know :smile:

Omg, thank you so much for your help! If you have any advice on personal statements I would really appreciate it. Wishing you the best of luck with your results! :smile:
Original post by hazeln1
Omg, thank you so much for your help! If you have any advice on personal statements I would really appreciate it. Wishing you the best of luck with your results! :smile:

So for my personal statement I structured it as a short paragraph for an introduction in which I wrote about motivations and particular parts of veterinary I was interested in. I found the introduction the hardest part to write so actually wrote that at the end. Then I did a paragraph about work experience. You need to write about what you learned from your experience, don’t just list jobs you did/ procedures you watched. Pick out a couple of things from your experience and talk about what that taught you. Then I did a smaller paragraph about vet related extra stuff like online courses/ extra reading. After that a paragraph about hobbies and relate those back to being a vet as you need to be good at communicating with people as well not just animals. And then finally a couple of lines as a conclusion. It took me a lot of drafts and I’d say start as soon as you can, once you’ve started it it’s a lot easier to change bits and improve it, rather than trying to write a perfect statement on your first attempt. There is no right or wrong way to do a personal statement, this is just how I did mine and it should be unique to you. Hope that’s helpful :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by PurpleVet
So for my personal statement I structured it as a short paragraph for an introduction in which I wrote about motivations and particular parts of veterinary I was interested in. I found the introduction the hardest part to write so actually wrote that at the end. Then I did a paragraph about work experience. You need to write about what you learned from your experience, don’t just list jobs you did/ procedures you watched. Pick out a couple of things from your experience and talk about what that taught you. Then I did a smaller paragraph about vet related extra stuff like online courses/ extra reading. After that a paragraph about hobbies and relate those back to being a vet as you need to be good at communicating with people as well not just animals. And then finally a couple of lines as a conclusion. It took me a lot of drafts and I’d say start as soon as you can, once you’ve started it it’s a lot easier to change bits and improve it, rather than trying to write a perfect statement on your first attempt. There is no right or wrong way to do a personal statement, this is just how I did mine and it should be unique to you. Hope that’s helpful :smile:

Thank you so much! This is really helpful :smile:
Original post by aritar
I got AAB with a B in chem and I got into vet school. In my final year now

hey, what uni are you in?
Reply 8
Original post by scarlettmxmx
hey, what uni are you in?

RVC
Original post by aritar
RVC

if you don't mind me asking.. was it a contextual offer?
thanks
Reply 10
Original post by scarlettmxmx
if you don't mind me asking.. was it a contextual offer?

Nope. I'm having a look at the entry requirements page on the rvc website now. I havent seen it in year but I don't remember any contextual offers policy at the time I applied.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending