A Levels for mature student in Manchester

Watch
Effyd123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I am a mature student looking to do my A levels. Ideally I would go to a brick college, but i am strugling to find a college that accepts adults for A levels in the manchester area. Any help?
Ketchup007
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Effyd123)
Hi,

I am a mature student looking to do my A levels. Ideally I would go to a brick college, but i am strugling to find a college that accepts adults for A levels in the manchester area. Any help?
Have you considered online learning if so ICS Is a good answer
Effyd123
Rep:
?
ye tought about online. the problem is they cost a fortune ifyou count in exam fees, and theyre not eligible for advance learner loan...
Ketchup007
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ye tought about online. the problem is they cost a fortune ifyou count in exam fees, and theyre not eligible for advance learner loan...
I see. Have you asked eveey six form? Keep me updated I want to help u
Effyd123
Rep:
?
do sixth forms accept mature students? always thought that they limit themselves to max of 19y/o
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
do sixth forms accept mature students? always thought that they limit themselves to max of 19y/o
No, a sixth form will not accept mature students.

What subjects do you want to study, and what do you want to go on to read at university?
Effyd123
Rep:
?
Am aiming for medicine.

I have been accepted for an access course, however ideally I would take A levels instead, as my ideal choice universities (UCLAN or Edge Hill) do not accept the access course.
The A levels I would need would be Biology, Chemistry and Maths, obviously three very tough ones....

And naturally, as Biology and Chemistry have practical elements, I am looking at exam fees of circa £1500 per paper, plus course fees, which isn't possible for me without an advanced learner loan....

So, is there any hope....
Edge Hill University Outreach
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Am aiming for medicine.

I have been accepted for an access course, however ideally I would take A levels instead, as my ideal choice universities (UCLAN or Edge Hill) do not accept the access course.
The A levels I would need would be Biology, Chemistry and Maths, obviously three very tough ones....

And naturally, as Biology and Chemistry have practical elements, I am looking at exam fees of circa £1500 per paper, plus course fees, which isn't possible for me without an advanced learner loan....

Hi,

I work as a mature student recruitment officer at Edge Hill University, thank you for your interest in the university. Have you checked if any of your local FE colleges offer A Levels for mature students?

Best wishes,

Louise
University of Salford Student Rep
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Am aiming for medicine.

Morning Effyd123

I have checked Edge Hill website for their entry requirements and as a mature student for MBChB Medicine with Foundation Year it states - Applications from mature students are welcomed. There is no requirement for the academic qualifications in the entry criteria to have been completed in the past two years. Why don't you contact [email protected] to discuss your situation. Perhaps Louise, Edge Hill Mature Student Recruitment Officer, could help you with this? Might be worthwhile exploring with your ideal uni's what additional aspects of experience you could gain during gaining your Access qualification that would help you be successful in gaining an offer to study i.e. volunteering.

As you have mentioned Manchester thought I would provide you with a link to the courses on offer within our School of Health and Society to explore the option of studying closer to home. We offer alternative entry schemes, as a Mature Student I gained entry to my studies using the APL route.

Wish you luck moving towards higher education - whatever route you decide.

Clare
Student Ambassador
Effyd123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Edge Hill University Outreach)
Hi,

I work as a mature student recruitment officer at Edge Hill University, thank you for your interest in the university. Have you checked if any of your local FE colleges offer A Levels for mature students?

Best wishes,

Louise
thanks for your reply. OF course the first thing I did was reach out to the colleges in my area, but as it seems, nobody wants to take in mature students for a levels
Effyd123
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Salford Student Rep)
Morning Effyd123

I have checked Edge Hill website for their entry requirements and as a mature student for MBChB Medicine with Foundation Year it states - Applications from mature students are welcomed. There is no requirement for the academic qualifications in the entry criteria to have been completed in the past two years. Why don't you contact [email protected] to discuss your situation. Perhaps Louise, Edge Hill Mature Student Recruitment Officer, could help you with this? Might be worthwhile exploring with your ideal uni's what additional aspects of experience you could gain during gaining your Access qualification that would help you be successful in gaining an offer to study i.e. volunteering.

As you have mentioned Manchester thought I would provide you with a link to the courses on offer within our School of Health and Society to explore the option of studying closer to home. We offer alternative entry schemes, as a Mature Student I gained entry to my studies using the APL route.

Wish you luck moving towards higher education - whatever route you decide.

Clare
Student Ambassador
Thanks, i contacted edge hill earlier this year and they told me that they arent accepting Access courses .

As far as I'm aware, Salford Uni don't offer medicine, which is my ideal aim. But thanks for your help though
Edge Hill University Outreach
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks, i contacted edge hill earlier this year and they told me that they arent accepting Access courses .

As far as I'm aware, Salford Uni don't offer medicine, which is my ideal aim. But thanks for your help though
Hi,

Unfortunately you are right Effyd123. Although Edge Hill welcomes applications from Access students for our other degrees, we do not currently accept the Access Diploma for entry onto our Medicine programmes. However, quite a few other universities do accept the Access Diploma. I wish you all the best with your applications.
Ketchup007
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Keep working hard buddy maybe speak to one of your local college/sixth form if they can give advice where to go maybe try that? Or do the annoying online version 🙄ik it's expensive but it's your dream I wish I was more help I wish u the best my bud
Effyd123
Rep:
?
Thanks. If anyone else has some advice.... Please let me know
Zk7881_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Effy are you going to start at citylabs?
Ambergris
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I find people don't give enough information, sometimes here have you got good GCSE's if not and you come a disadvantaged background...look into doing an access course and applying perhaps for this... maybe approach see if they accept the access. https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...ndation-oxford
Alternatively, if you have not found a place you can "start now", work through the syllabus, work/work part time and save up.
There is open university...diplomas and online certificate and foundations run by some of the best university
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (33)
15.87%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.35%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.9%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (56)
26.92%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (40)
19.23%

Watched Threads