International Business - is Birmingham a contender or should she be aiming higher?

Watch
MumofAleveller
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My daughter is starting to look at uni options for her application in the autumn term for 2022 entry. Her GCSE results were 6 x 9 and 4 x 8. She is doing A-Levels in Spanish, Psychology and English Language. Her UCAS predicted grades are AAA.

She isn’t interested in Oxbridge, doesn’t want to go to any of the London unis, took one look at Warwick and said “no thanks” and thinks Durham is not her cup of tea…

We went to Loughborough, which she really liked and then she visited Birmingham after that. We are going to Bath this week, Leeds on Saturday and then hope to look at York and Exeter.

She has said that she absolutely loves Birmingham and that’s where she wants to go. Birmingham’s entry requirements are AAB or ABB if she gets an A in her EPQ.

Exeter and Leeds are AAA, York is same as Birmingham, and Loughborough one grade lower.

All of the other universities are rated significantly higher for business than Birmingham (on the league tables). Should I be worrying about her aiming for Birmingham when she’s capable of getting onto a course that’s more highly rated?

Does anyone know how Birmingham compares for business with the others above. I feel, from everything I’ve read that Leeds or Exeter would be better?

Or should I butt out, mind my own business and let her crack on with it??? 😂
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MumofAleveller)
All of the other universities are rated significantly higher for business than Birmingham (on the league tables). Should I be worrying about her aiming for Birmingham when she’s capable of getting onto a course that’s more highly rated?
League Tables and 'rankings' are not a good way to choose a University degree.
These measure a whole heap of stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with undergraduate study or undergraduate student experience.
In particular it cannot tell you daughter if she will like that degree course or enjoy being at that Uni.

Employers are not obsessive about league tables - and since these change year by year, they also realise that trying to use this as a gauge of an individual student's ability or worth is meaningless. Yes, RG and other 'top' Unis are more academically demanding but trying to decide in the 'worth' between Unis at that level is pretty much a nonsense.

Your daughter needs to go to in-person Open Days and listen to the course/subject presentations and ask questions both of academic staff and current students. She also needs to get a 'feel' for each Uni and consider if it is the 'right' Uni for her. You can't do this for her. You can drive the car and take helpful notes while she is listening to stuff - but the decision about where she feels comfortable and the exact course that suits her has to be her decision alone. You aren't going to Uni for three years - she is.

How to Avoid 5 Rejections - lots of useful advice for your daughter, especially the stuff about making sure you pick 5 choices with a range of grade requirements - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
MumofAleveller
Rep:
?
Thanks. The question I’m really asking is how Birmingham’s business courses compare to those at Exeter, Bath etc.
Nobody2u
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I went to Loughborough, admittedly a long time ago, and read Economics.( I also played a sport). Everyone told me to aim higher, I'd never get accepted into a top 4 in London afterwards, but I didn't listen because Loughborough is where I felt comfortable. I was right, the others were proved wrong. I had the most amazing student experience, and was accepted into a big 4, in fact several, and was able to choose. So although the reputation of a Uni is important, it's not the only consideration. Your daughter has to feel comfortable there, the course has to be right for her, and as long as the school is not completely out of the rating systems, it is far better to get a good degree from the uni of her choice than scraping through at a "top" uni where she spends 3 years in misery.
MumofAleveller
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nobody2u)
I went to Loughborough, admittedly a long time ago, and read Economics.( I also played a sport). Everyone told me to aim higher, I'd never get accepted into a top 4 in London afterwards, but I didn't listen because Loughborough is where I felt comfortable. I was right, the others were proved wrong. I had the most amazing student experience, and was accepted into a big 4, in fact several, and was able to choose. So although the reputation of a Uni is important, it's not the only consideration. Your daughter has to feel comfortable there, the course has to be right for her, and as long as the school is not completely out of the rating systems, it is far better to get a good degree from the uni of her choice than scraping through at a "top" uni where she spends 3 years in misery.
Great feedback and you’re right of course. I need to leave her to it. Which bIg 4 are you at? I recently left KPMG, but have also worked at EY and Deloitte (am old!)
Nobody2u
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm no longer in accounting at all and live abroad but I qualified with Arthur Andersen, getting offers from EY and Deloitte's as well. As I said it was a long time ago!😂
MumofAleveller
Rep:
?
Hahaha - I too worked for Andersen before Deloitte acquired its’ tax people. Happy days!
Nobody2u
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Great feedback and you’re right of course. I need to leave her to it. Which bIg 4 are you at? I recently left KPMG, but have also worked at EY and Deloitte (am old!)
I wouldn't say leave her to it, your input in helping her decide the pros and cons of each are undoubtedly very valuable, but the end decision has to be hers. My daughter is starting Uni at Bristol in September, and I spent quite a lot of time with her going through course structures etc when deciding which schools to put on the UCAS forms.
MumofAleveller
Rep:
?
I wouldn't say leave her to it, your input in helping her decide the pros and cons of each are undoubtedly very valuable, but the end decision has to be hers. My daughter is starting Uni at Bristol in September, and I spent quite a lot of time with her going through course structures etc when deciding which schools to put on the UCAS forms.
Yes, I’ve been doing the same. The fact that I have compiled my own spreadsheet (!) is possibly a step too far…I spent too long in the Big 4 clearly!
Good luck to your daughter!
Nobody2u
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, I’ve been doing the same. The fact that I have compiled my own spreadsheet (!) is possibly a step too far…I spent too long in the Big 4 clearly!
Good luck to your daughter!
I did the same!! That is so sad!! Thank you for my daughter ( she's going to be over 1000km from home, so hopefully she's made the right choice) and good luck to yours!
Nobody2u
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hahaha - I too worked for Andersen before Deloitte acquired its’ tax people. Happy days!
Just being curious, but were you in AA's Surrey st. Office and if so when? You never know we might have been there at the same time!
LawStudent456
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My daughter is starting to look at uni options for her application in the autumn term for 2022 entry. Her GCSE results were 6 x 9 and 4 x 8. She is doing A-Levels in Spanish, Psychology and English Language. Her UCAS predicted grades are AAA.

She isn’t interested in Oxbridge, doesn’t want to go to any of the London unis, took one look at Warwick and said “no thanks” and thinks Durham is not her cup of tea…

We went to Loughborough, which she really liked and then she visited Birmingham after that. We are going to Bath this week, Leeds on Saturday and then hope to look at York and Exeter.

She has said that she absolutely loves Birmingham and that’s where she wants to go. Birmingham’s entry requirements are AAB or ABB if she gets an A in her EPQ.

Exeter and Leeds are AAA, York is same as Birmingham, and Loughborough one grade lower.

Does anyone know how Birmingham compares for business with the others above. I feel, from everything I’ve read that Leeds or Exeter would be better?

If she doesn’t want Oxbridge, London or Durham then what can be higher than Birmingham?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LawStudent456)
If she doesn’t want Oxbridge, London or Durham then what can be higher than Birmingham?
My thoughts also. Bath maybe - largely because they are very strong for gap years - by Leeds and Exeter sound the same level. Of course they course might be way better at one than another but thats pretty difficult to find out.
MumofAleveller
Rep:
?
Just being curious, but were you in AA's Surrey st. Office and if so when? You never know we might have been there at the same time!
No, I was working at EY in Fetter Lane when I got recruited to Andersen’s St Albans office in 2001. I was only there for about 15 months before Enron happened. I left and joined Deloitte in London and then the merger happened and all my former Andersen colleagues joined and we ended up in the former Andersen office on the Strand.
I’m now in international HR - leading international mobility globally for a global infrastructure company. It’s a delight - no timesheets!
When were you there?
Nobody2u
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Almost 10 years before you!!😂 I told you I'm an oldie!Followed my lawyer husband abroad, moved into hotel construction management accounting, and then took very early retirement!
Last edited by Nobody2u; 1 month ago
MumofAleveller
Rep:
?
Almost 10 years before you!!😂 I told you I'm an oldie!
Hahaha! I joined EY in Fetter Lane in 1995. All around that area - the Strand/Fetter Lane/Fleet St was a great place to “grow up” in !
Nobody2u
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hahaha! I joined EY in Fetter Lane in 1995. All around that area - the Strand/Fetter Lane/Fleet St was a great place to “grow up” in !
Just done an edit but don't know if it's showing!
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

If the last two years are anything to go by, if she's a decent student from a decent school, Birmingham will offer her CCC if she firms. Exeter and Nottingham will probably drop a grade as well.

There's not a lot to choose between any of those universities. Birmingham is a fine place to go. As someone else said, uni league tables are not a good measure of anything. Many of them use metrics that are out of the control of the university - and a lot of them use a lot of variables that are based on student satisfaction rather than anything to do with education. This matters, because it puts London universities significantly lower down, as London students are always dissatisfied with their lot. Additionally, it means bad universities can spend a bit of money of a new swimming pool and better accomodation, and make mediocre students happy - propelling them up the league tables without actually being better at teaching or research.

You have used the words butt and crack in the same sentence.

If your daughter has visited the universities, then I would leave her to it, all the ones you've mentioned are excellent. The only thing I would question is the subject. If there is anything other than Business that she might want to do as it's not exactly the high point of undergraduate subjects, but if it makes her happy then no reason to argue.
Last edited by Trinculo; 1 month ago
MumofAleveller
Rep:
?
Just done an edit but don't know if it's showing!
Just seen it! It’s a small world!!
MumofAleveller
Rep:
?
(Original post by Trinculo)
If the last two years are anything to go by, if she's a decent student from a decent school, Birmingham will offer her CCC if she firms. Exeter and Nottingham will probably drop a grade as well.

There's not a lot to choose between any of those universities. Birmingham is a fine place to go. As someone else said, uni league tables are not a good measure of anything. Many of them use metrics that are out of the control of the university - and a lot of them use a lot of variables that are based on student satisfaction rather than anything to do with education. This matters, because it puts London universities significantly lower down, as London students are always dissatisfied with their lot. Additionally, it means bad universities can spend a bit of money of a new swimming pool and better accomodation, and make mediocre students happy - propelling them up the league tables without actually being better at teaching or research.

You have used the words butt and crack in the same sentence.

If your daughter has visited the universities, then I would leave her to it, all the ones you've mentioned are excellent. The only thing I would question is the subject. If there is anything other than Business that she might want to do as it's not exactly the high point of undergraduate subjects, but if it makes her happy then no reason to argue.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your very detailed reply. I really appreciate it x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads