Is this a good/bad A level combination?

Watch
Itz_tj
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was thinking of picking Bio, Physics, economics and maths/cs for A levels since i am not too sure of my future career rather i just have a vague outline.
But if i did end up choosing these a levels will unis be looking for more precise a levels or would this still be acceptable?
ashtolga23
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As long as you have the maths to help with physics I think that's a great combo. Why wouldn't it be?
JT_888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Itz_tj)
I was thinking of picking Bio, Physics, economics and maths/cs for A levels since i am not too sure of my future career rather i just have a vague outline.
But if i did end up choosing these a levels will unis be looking for more precise a levels or would this still be acceptable?
I don't see anything wrong with the above options if you're looking to take 4 subjects at A-level, but if you want to keep your options open and relatively broad, I would advise choosing a mixture of STEM-based subjects and subjects that involve essay writing such as economics, history, etc. I hope this helps!
Itz_tj
Rep:
?
(Original post by ashtolga23)
As long as you have the maths to help with physics I think that's a great combo. Why wouldn't it be?
I was just thinking it might be a bit odd since people mainly pick bio and chem as their stem subjects as it is more a common combination. Many of my friends also said that bio and physics is a weird pick since it was in 2 completely different sectors (med and engineering).
But i might just choose them since im still not sure whether to go into med or engineering.
Itz_tj
Rep:
?
(Original post by JT_888)
I don't see anything wrong with the above options if you're looking to take 4 subjects at A-level, but if you want to keep your options open and relatively broad, I would advise choosing a mixture of STEM-based subjects and subjects that involve essay writing such as economics, history, etc. I hope this helps!
Yes thank you I was just a bit unsure before but this has helped!
Last edited by Itz_tj; 1 month ago
cactussalad
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Itz_tj)
I was just thinking it might be a bit odd since people mainly pick bio and chem as their stem subjects as it is more a common combination. Many of my friends also said that bio and physics is a weird pick since it was in 2 completely different sectors (med and engineering).
But i might just choose them since im still not sure whether to go into med or engineering.
if you want to do med you will need chem or your choices will be massively limited

bio and physics aren't as common as other combinations, but this is also a strength as you'd have a broader knowledge base.

your choices sound good!
Caz1234567
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maths is always a great a level to have no matter what you do! Bio and physics isn't a weird pick and they're far more connected than you think! You could even do biophysics at uni! I'd recommend maths, biology and physics as your subjects and if you want to do 4 I'd add further maths! This is because you don't need to do computer science a level to do it at uni, you just need maths and further maths. This is the same for economics/ accounting/finance/business. So you'd be keeping your options open Hope this helps and feel free to ask any more questions
Itz_tj
Rep:
?
(Original post by cactussalad)
if you want to do med you will need chem or your choices will be massively limited

bio and physics aren't as common as other combinations, but this is also a strength as you'd have a broader knowledge base.

your choices sound good!
I might just do Chemistry Physics Maths and either Computer Science or Economics. I did some research and top Russell group universities look for chemistry as an essential subject to have and either biology, maths or further maths to go with it. And going with this option means that I can still have the opportunity to do engineering or medicine and can still do a finance degree since they only require maths. And even law tbh since there is a language requirement albeit its not required for European law.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (4)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (3)
6.82%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
6.82%
I need help with my personal statement (20)
45.45%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (10)
22.73%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.27%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
6.82%

Watched Threads