Wants to leave Uni but not really planned for whats next

Watch
Wibble04
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Right, so my brother has just completed his first year at Uni doing Computer Science and has just decided he doesn't want to go back (???) and says he wants to do a degree apprenticeship. The family and myself have all told him that he doesn't have the grades really to get into a degree apprenticeship (that's if he can actually be bothered to look for one) - got CCC in the centre assessed grades last year. I found a few apprenticeships in the computer science area in like 5 mins, so idk!!

Anyway, wanted to get some advice that I can give to him - should he stay at uni and get the degree at the end of it cause that will open up more doors for him then without it. Or what?? Cause dropping out of uni completely would mean that he wouldn't really have anything to go back to if he changed his mind again and thought the new route wasn't great either.

Advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance
domesticengineer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
He’s quite late to apply now for the ones starting in September. Usually the application process starts between Jan - April for many companies. But it’s worth keeping an eye on as there are sometimes late openings. Also the process is competitive and some of them require higher grades at A level. There are degree level apprenticeships but he could also look for level 3,4,5 in IT too. The sensible option would be for him to stay at uni until he actually has an offer or to complete his degree But I guess only he knows what he wants to do!
Last edited by domesticengineer; 1 month ago
Wibble04
Rep:
?
(Original post by domesticengineer)
He’s quite late to apply now for the ones starting in September. Usually the application process starts between Jan - April for many companies. But it’s worth keeping an eye on as there are sometimes late openings. Also the process is competitive and some of them require higher grades at A level. There are degree level apprenticeships but he could also look for level 3,4,5 in IT too. The sensible option would be for him to stay at uni until he actually has an offer or to complete his degree But I guess only he knows what he wants to do!
Ok, thank you for this. I will let him know. I don't think he really knows what he wants to do either which is not at all helpful at this point in time!
Satori Tendō
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's strange, degree apprenticeships last longer (plus he would have to start again?) and he's already completed one year of a degree. He just needs to get stuck in for 2 more years and he can find a graduate role and move on from education.

If he's worried about the job side of things, Computer science graduates are pretty desirable, my own sibling was able to get quite a few interviews (encourage him to take on summer internships to strengthen his future applications).

He got into University which is something not everyone is able to do, I think if he dropped out now in search of a degree apprenticeship without having one lined up he could end up spending a lot of time where he could have already or nearly graduated.
WazzWazz98
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Agree with all the above, a degree in compsci will pretty much guarantee a job in any sector apart from natural sciences so that's his best bet to keep his doors open!
Wibble04
Rep:
?
(Original post by Satori Tendō)
That's strange, degree apprenticeships last longer (plus he would have to start again?) and he's already completed one year of a degree. He just needs to get stuck in for 2 more years and he can find a graduate role and move on from education.

If he's worried about the job side of things, Computer science graduates are pretty desirable, my own sibling was able to get quite a few interviews (encourage him to take on summer internships to strengthen his future applications).

He got into University which is something not everyone is able to do, I think if he dropped out now in search of a degree apprenticeship without having one lined up he could end up spending a lot of time where he could have already or nearly graduated.
He got in through clearing. He just doesn't really want to do anything we think. We have suggested to him that finishing the degree, whilst he might not enjoy it as much as he wants to will open up more doors for hi, in the future. Especially if he can get a good grade at the end of it. I think I remember him saying he's got 2-1s throughout the year or something? (Not that anyone on here would know). He's not really interested in anything apart from gaming anymore, so much so we think that its reached a point where he needs help which is said. Cause everyone around him can see what is happening to him and he can't.
Satori Tendō
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wibble04)
He got in through clearing. He just doesn't really want to do anything we think. We have suggested to him that finishing the degree, whilst he might not enjoy it as much as he wants to will open up more doors for hi, in the future. Especially if he can get a good grade at the end of it. I think I remember him saying he's got 2-1s throughout the year or something? (Not that anyone on here would know). He's not really interested in anything apart from gaming anymore, so much so we think that its reached a point where he needs help which is said. Cause everyone around him can see what is happening to him and he can't.
Yeah 2:1 (an upper second) is the second highest achievement at Uni after a 1st. (Generally a 2:1 is over 60% / a 1st is over 70%)
Getting either a 1st or 2:1 is really good for the future and will secure him a job especially for computer science graduates.

If he was able to get above 60% consistently in first year then clearly he is capable academic wise to cope with the second and third. Not only that, he was blessed with a (potentially lower) offer on a clearing course?

There are plenty of people who would want to be him right now and are working hard just to get what he has.
It seems that he is still interested in education so as long as he doesn't regret throwing this perfectly good cake away, he can do what he wants.

A degree apprenticeship and what he is doing now both have the same end goal. To me, it seems like your brother is suddenly starting to run backwards in a race he was already winning lol
Wibble04
Rep:
?
(Original post by WazzWazz98)
Agree with all the above, a degree in compsci will pretty much guarantee a job in any sector apart from natural sciences so that's his best bet to keep his doors open!
agreed
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.44%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.29%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.77%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.05%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.03%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed