Lrc2000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I’ve been thinking about about possibly getting a second degree in nursing, I’m currently going into my final year of business studies at man met in September and I just don’t really see myself pursuing it as a career, but I feel like I’m already so much in student debt from completing the two years I might as well finish it. I was basically just wondering if I can get a tuition fee loan for a second degree, I read somewhere that you can only get student loans for up to 4 years (not sure how true that is) but I was just wondering if this would differ for nursing as it’s like an in demand degree for the NHS. Also, I was just wondering what other A levels are necessary for me to get to apply, I already have a sociology A level which is relevant but I’m just wondering if I have to do like biology, physics or chemistry or could I just do a health and social care A level over the next year and having that alongside the sociology A level would be sufficient?
Last edited by Lrc2000; 1 month ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nursing is an exempt course. That means you would get funding as if it is your first time at university.
There’s also Masters routes into nursing that get funding that might be worth looking into as they might not require extra qualifications.
If you do need more qualifications then an Access to HE Diploma in Health & Social Care would be the best option. It’s a 1 year course, you can get an Advanced Learner Loan to pay the fees and that gets written off once you get a degree and the course is accepted by pretty much all nursing courses.
MissB89
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am starting my second degree next month. Nursing is one of the exemption courses so I do get student finance and maintenance loans again. My first degree was British sign language and Deaf Studies, worked as a HCA for the past 2 years and my uni took my first degree into consideration and just had to prove I had GCSE maths and english at level C or equivalent.

They did say I could apply for the msc post grad and complete in 2 years since I have experience as a HCA but I wanted the full 3 years.
IonaBelton
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lrc2000)
So I’ve been thinking about about possibly getting a second degree in nursing, I’m currently going into my final year of business studies at man met in September and I just don’t really see myself pursuing it as a career, but I feel like I’m already so much in student debt from completing the two years I might as well finish it. I was basically just wondering if I can get a tuition fee loan for a second degree, I read somewhere that you can only get student loans for up to 4 years (not sure how true that is) but I was just wondering if this would differ for nursing as it’s like an in demand degree for the NHS. Also, I was just wondering what other A levels are necessary for me to get to apply, I already have a sociology A level which is relevant but I’m just wondering if I have to do like biology, physics or chemistry or could I just do a health and social care A level over the next year and having that alongside the sociology A level would be sufficient?
You may not need to do another course before you apply to do nursing. Look at the entrance requirements. My university accepted a degree in any subject. Each university is different and competition is high. So I would suggest contacting the university you are interested in as a first step.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (6)
10.34%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.62%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.17%
I need help with my personal statement (25)
43.1%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
24.14%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.45%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads