How can people hit 30+ and never have a job

Watch
JVM2020
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
It beggared belief to me. Someone I knew years ago was upset about never being able to drive or get a job.

Almost 30 and over now and they never had a job

How?

How?
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
18-23 Uni MSc w/ SHons
23-26 PhD
26-29 BSc/etc Nursing or Related (2nd degree approved by Finance)

My guess on how you might be able to avoid work (but someone else would have to back it up, this is just idle speculation)
JustSomeGuyYKnow
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what even is it to you? circumstances vary there's no answer to this.
Foxehh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Disability? MH struggles? Spouse providing for the family instead?
You dont know someone else's situation in life.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unless they are severely disabled IDK.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
I don’t care for others situation, only my own. There could be a variety of reasons why. Why does it bother you?
JVM2020
Rep:
?
I was fascinated by the people who have never had jobs. Benefit culture was around some years ago but I think they are working on it
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, bit weird tbh
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Plenty of possible reasons.

No desire to work for a living and zero financial necessity to due to access to alternative sources of wealth (inheritance, large divorce settlement, lottery win, family trust).
Very bad health, obvious significant disabilities that restrict physical capabilies for work or physical injuries that impair workplace functionality to the extent that very few employers would even consider hiring/insurance cover would be refused.
Serious criminal history or very negative reputation due to lots of adverse publicity/association with notorious relations.
Poor social skills accompanied by abysmal references, few or no qualifications and extensive family commitments.
Habitually workshy with alternative priorities to earning a living who prefers to live off partner, ex, parents, other relatives, charities, welfare.
Career criminal who is able to live off proceeds of criminal conduct.
Single person or student who lives off income from a legal settlement paid as monthly/weekly installments.
Nobody2u
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Callicious)
18-23 Uni MSc w/ SHons
23-26 PhD
26-29 BSc/etc Nursing or Related (2nd degree approved by Finance)

My guess on how you might be able to avoid work (but someone else would have to back it up, this is just idle speculation)
You can't exactly qualify the 26-29 Nursing or related as not a job!!
chlamydia9000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've met plenty of people who have been 30+ and never had a job. Usually they have mental health problems, extreme anxiety or are drug addicts. In some cases they've wanted to work but going for a low-paid job given the cost of rent would make them worse-off. They always end up broken people. They should be pitied rather than hated.
JVM2020
Rep:
?
(Original post by chlamydia9000)
I've met plenty of people who have been 30+ and never had a job. Usually they have mental health problems, extreme anxiety or are drug addicts. In some cases they've wanted to work but going for a low-paid job given the cost of rent would make them worse-off. They always end up broken people. They should be pitied rather than hated.
Thank you for not being judgemental when you dont know circumstances of people.

You are a clever person.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JVM2020)
It beggared belief to me. Someone I knew years ago was upset about never being able to drive or get a job.

Almost 30 and over now and they never had a job

How?

How?
because they are 'online entrepreneurs'

Spoiler:
Show
I put the inverted commas to highlight that there a lot of wannabe online entrepreneurs out there that you see on social media, obviously not all of them are like this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads