Watch
jess_school
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there,

Looking for a bit of advice

My AP results for Calc BC, Macroeconomics, Comp Sci principles and Art His are 5,5,4,3 respectively.

And my 5 highest grade 12 classes are:
96% in pre-calc
96% in comp sci
95% in socials
93% in Econ
89% in Art history

I am applying to computer science in the UK (looking at Edinburgh, Bristol, Exeter...) and keep being told how competitive comp sci is (especially as an international)! Are there any universities you recommend with these grades? And do you think I've screwed my chances by not getting a 5 in my AP comp sci exam?

Also as a side, does anyone know how much AP scores weigh in a Canadian's application? As APs are part of the American system and only offered at certain schools in Canada on top of the normal high school curriculum.

Thanks!

* I self-studied 3 of my APs which is why I don't have class grades to accompany them
Last edited by jess_school; 1 month ago
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jess_school)
Hi there,

My AP results for Calc BC, Macroeconomics, Comp Sci principles and Art His are 5,5,4,3 respectively.

96% in pre-calc
96% in comp sci
95% in socials
93% in Econ
89% in Art history

I am applying to computer science in the UK (looking at Edinburgh, Bristol, Exeter...) and keep being told how competitive comp sci is (especially as an international)! Are there any universities you recommend with these grades? And do you think I've screwed my chances by not getting a 5 in my AP comp sci exam?

Also as a side, does anyone know how much AP scores weigh in a Canadian's application? As APs are part of the American system and only offered at certain schools in Canada on top of the normal high school curriculum.

Thanks!

* I self-studied 3 of my APs which is why I don't have class grades to accompany them
Because most universities don't expect you to have any knowledge of computer science before you start, and most UK schools don't offer A-level computer science, universities (particularly the ones you're looking at) place much more emphasis on maths grades (in your case, Calc AB) than compsci grades. So I wouldn't worry too much about not getting a 5 in your AP compsci.

You'll find on university websites what they recognise from international qualifications (eg Bristol http://www.bristol.ac.uk/international/countries/) but because of your mix of US and Canadian qualifications it might be best emailing universities directly to see what they require.
cvgk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jess_school)
Hi there,

96% in pre-calc
96% in comp sci
95% in socials
93% in Econ
89% in Art history

Thanks!

good luck
jess_school
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by thegalaxy)
Because most universities don't expect you to have any knowledge of computer science before you start, and most UK schools don't offer A-level computer science, universities (particularly the ones you're looking at) place much more emphasis on maths grades (in your case, Calc AB) than compsci grades. So I wouldn't worry too much about not getting a 5 in your AP compsci.

You'll find on university websites what they recognise from international qualifications (eg Bristol http://www.bristol.ac.uk/international/countries/) but because of your mix of US and Canadian qualifications it might be best emailing universities directly to see what they require.
Thanks a lot for responding, that's really good to know about them placing more emphasis on Maths.
I'll get in contact with the Unis directly - great idea
Spoiler:
Show

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (4)
8.16%
I need help researching courses (4)
8.16%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
6.12%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
48.98%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (10)
20.41%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.04%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
6.12%

Watched Threads