Friendship problems

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've been friends with this girl for 10 years, known her most of my life. I'm 15 in case you're wondering. For the past 2 years she's been acting really ignorant like she doesn't really care about me and rather talk to someone else. We're really good friends or at least we were but I don't know if I'm being dramatic but she keeps replacing me with other people and it's rude honestly.
I haven't had the best year, nobody has. I was really struggling with my mental health because I have anxiety. It's not just her it's all of my friends, they leave me out of their conversations, turn their backs on me as if I'm invisible. I remember once we just did an exam and it was after the last lockdown and I did terrible I didn't understand anything I was upset I was crying but no one noticed obviously so I just sat there and watched them have their conversations with tears running down my face.
I don't know, what do I do? If I'm honest I don't want to be friends with them anymore but I don't want to be lonely either.
elyxe
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've been friends with this girl for 10 years, known her most of my life. I'm 15 in case you're wondering. For the past 2 years she's been acting really ignorant like she doesn't really care about me and rather talk to someone else. We're really good friends or at least we were but I don't know if I'm being dramatic but she keeps replacing me with other people and it's rude honestly.
I haven't had the best year, nobody has. I was really struggling with my mental health because I have anxiety. It's not just her it's all of my friends, they leave me out of their conversations, turn their backs on me as if I'm invisible. I remember once we just did an exam and it was after the last lockdown and I did terrible I didn't understand anything I was upset I was crying but no one noticed obviously so I just sat there and watched them have their conversations with tears running down my face.
I don't know, what do I do? If I'm honest I don't want to be friends with them anymore but I don't want to be lonely either.
I've been in that situation myself where you have to choose between your mental health and your friendship group. Chose yourself always, no matter what! I understand that there have been good memories with the long-term friend but if she has mistreated you for 2 years, then that friendship should not continue. Sometimes it takes years to realise the true nature of a person, and it takes courage to walk away from that. Yes, you may miss her company and the history that followed but I guarantee that you will not miss the disgusting way she treated you.

You are not being dramatic - if you feel that someone is invalidating your feelings, then you should act on that. Your feelings matter just as much as anyone else's. Regarding the rest of your friendship group, they are not your friends if they do not take time to consider your feelings and reassure you in desperate times of need.

You are right in terms of loneliness - cutting off your friendship group will likely cause you to be alone for a while. But you could use this time to heal and mentally grow. Soon, you will discover better people.

Considering your age as well, it is likely that after secondary school you will never see these people again. Eventually, you will find a group of friends that are supportive and appreciate you for who you are! I hope this was helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads