The Student Room Group

Uni decisions

I'm having trouble deciding what I want to do this September. I either have the option to go through clearing or stay home and work full time, but I really don't know what to do. I think the main issue is that I think I may not be able to afford it this year? I don't know though. What's other people's experience with just going straight to uni without a gap year?
Original post by Megg1615
I'm having trouble deciding what I want to do this September. I either have the option to go through clearing or stay home and work full time, but I really don't know what to do. I think the main issue is that I think I may not be able to afford it this year? I don't know though. What's other people's experience with just going straight to uni without a gap year?

Hey @Megg1615,

I would personally say that if you are not 100% sure what you want to do, then take a year out to figure out what you really want to do and where you want to go. That way, you won't rush any decisions and won't have any regrets.

Uni is expensive and hard work, so you need to make sure that you enjoy what you study! I love my course here at Reading, but it was not what I was going to do before I took a gap year, and I'm so glad that I took the time out. It also helped me to decide which uni was the right one for me!

Also, if you worked and saved up some money, you wouldn't have to worry about financial issues whilst studying.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student
Original post by Cote1
My daughter is taking a year out. She won't get the grades for her firm choice and there is unlikely to be flexibility this year with course spaces. She will get the grades for her insurance choice but has decided she doesn't want to go there. Even if her firm choice let her in, which is doubtful this year, she would ask to defer. She doesn't want to go this year because of the pandemic and doesn't feel ready and isn't ready for a number of reasons. As for many, it's been an incredibly **** year for her.
She is just starting a part-time job and is doing a course. She will reapply for 2022.
That probably doesn't help in any way🙂

I suppose you want to be sure that you don't rush a clearing decision.

What degree does your daughter want to do?

Quick Reply

Latest