Overtaking cyclist

Watch
penguin16
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I very recently passed my test and my least favourite thing is overtaking cyclists. On normal country roads, it isn't so much of an issue. However, when I am driving down a main road with hatched markings in the middle (that are big enough for a car to fit down) I never know if I am being too cautious when overtaking a cyclist.

Would you say it's safe to overtake a cyclist on broken lined hatched markings when there is oncoming traffic or should I wait until there is no traffic on the other side of the road?

I just want to see if I'm being overly cautious or am doing the right thing! Thank you!
KatetheLecturer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was taught that hatched markings should be treated like a brick wall - ie you never, ever go on to them, even if over-taking: but lots of people seem to when it's safe (and sometimes when it isn't!) so I don't know whether it's in the highway code or not. Maybe that's the place to check for sure? (I don't have a car, and never have done, so it's not really a big deal for me - and I always passed cyclists wide, even before that became the law, just in case anyone was going to berate me :-D)
penguin16
Rep:
?
(Original post by KatetheLecturer)
I was taught that hatched markings should be treated like a brick wall - ie you never, ever go on to them, even if over-taking: but lots of people seem to when it's safe (and sometimes when it isn't!) so I don't know whether it's in the highway code or not. Maybe that's the place to check for sure? (I don't have a car, and never have done, so it's not really a big deal for me - and I always passed cyclists wide, even before that became the law, just in case anyone was going to berate me :-D)
Highway code states “if the area is borders by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and safe to do so” and also mentions if it is bordered by solid you must not except in an emergency (which I knew anyway) but I guess what is deemed necessary is down to interpretation? Like would overtaking a cyclist be deemed necessary? I guess if they were going a decent speed I guess not but like 15mph?

Of course if there was not enough room I’d never overtake but I just never know if it would be ok in the hatches markings with oncoming traffic (if the area was wide enough)?
Last edited by penguin16; 1 month ago
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are right to be cautious. It is ok to go in to hatched area surrounded by broken lines but only if you are confident you won’t come in to conflict with other road users. If there are vehicles coming the opposite there is always a chance they will stray in to the area as well for some reason.

Hold back in a low gear positioned for best visibility and go when you can pass with a wide berth, within the speed limit and with no risk of another vehicle coming in to your path. Consider junctions too. Maintain awareness of what’s going on behind too and don’t be influenced by the plethora of impatient idiots who think nothing of reckless overtaking
penguin16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zarek)
You are right to be cautious. It is ok to go in to hatched area surrounded by broken lines but only if you are confident you won’t come in to conflict with other road users. If there are vehicles coming the opposite there is always a chance they will stray in to the area as well for some reason.

Hold back in a low gear positioned for best visibility and go when you can pass with a wide berth, within the speed limit and with no risk of another vehicle coming in to your path. Consider junctions too. Maintain awareness of what’s going on behind too and don’t be influenced by the plethora of impatient idiots who think nothing of reckless overtaking
You’re absolutely right! Thank you!

I’d rather be cautious than risk a dangerous move and cause harm to anyone. It’s just not worth it.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by penguin16)
I very recently passed my test and my least favourite thing is overtaking cyclists. On normal country roads, it isn't so much of an issue. However, when I am driving down a main road with hatched markings in the middle (that are big enough for a car to fit down) I never know if I am being too cautious when overtaking a cyclist.

Would you say it's safe to overtake a cyclist on broken lined hatched markings when there is oncoming traffic or should I wait until there is no traffic on the other side of the road?

I just want to see if I'm being overly cautious or am doing the right thing! Thank you!
the thing that most annoys me about cyclists is that whenever you're about to overtake them they always seem to be around traffic islands where you can't overtake them. just run into them lol but seriously definitely wait until no traffic on the other side, it's not like you're in a critical rush
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads