The Student Room Group

What to Choose? Need advice for FPAS Application

Hi there,

I'm a final year medical student about to apply for the foundation program but I'm in need of a bit of advice and clarity.

I want to do GP training and was wondering what the best specialties to choose are. In terms of location, I don't have any intention of applying to London so I'm not worried about my EPM score (which is 40 points for now. Still yet to sit the SJT but online calculator estimates a 68.2% chance of scoring between 76.73 and 83.78 overall based on the average score of my university. Not sure what that's supposed to mean lol).

But I would like to live somewhere with nice natural spots nearby and where accommodation (hospital or otherwise) is close to my place of work. I'm not sure if it's relevant but my girlfriend and I are planning to move in together. So I was wondering what the best kind of accommodation for couples would be. I will have some savings that could help towards private rent for a few months, at least until I get on my feet. Or is hospital accommodation worth it to save more money? Pros and cons between private and hospital accommodation?

Having said that, I also worry about the quality of teaching and learning for F1s i.e., are there certain specialties/hospitals that are better to choose as an F1 or is there no difference no matter what you choose or where?

Is it better to prioritise tertiary centers or DGHs or is there no difference?

I'm under the impression that generally speaking it doesn't really matter where you train because we all have to meet the basic national standard by having certain competences. However, I have also heard that depending on what one wants to do, the specific choices one makes (in terms of hospitals and jobs) are important because it may make the difference between having or good or bad foundation experience. Peninsula and Wessex seem interesting but I really don't know how to go about searching and prioritising the foundation schools.

There are a lot of questions :s-smilie: but any bit of advice would help.

(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest