Holly_Si
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it definite that there's no GAT for October 22 entry?

Instead there's only both parts of the TSA right? And does anyone know what sort of scores are considered too low?
azby1098
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Holly_Si)
Is it definite that there's no GAT for October 22 entry?

Instead there's only both parts of the TSA right? And does anyone know what sort of scores are considered too low?
hello!

i’m applying for geography at oxford too!

no GAT at all, just TSA section 1 and 2.

we can’t be sure what a good score for geography TSA would be, as it hasn’t been needed for a few years. in 2016/17 and 2017/18 a score of 59.0 was required for shortlisting. nowadays that probably translates to around 63.0-65.0 on the more recent papers.

i’d say aim for 29/30 out of 50 and then you will be in a secure position.

section 2 is usually used for context, and not included in the overall TSA score for what i know.
Holly_Si
Rep:
?
(Original post by azby1098)
hello!

i’m applying for geography at oxford too!

no GAT at all, just TSA section 1 and 2.

we can’t be sure what a good score for geography TSA would be, as it hasn’t been needed for a few years. in 2016/17 and 2017/18 a score of 59.0 was required for shortlisting. nowadays that probably translates to around 63.0-65.0 on the more recent papers.

i’d say aim for 29/30 out of 50 and then you will be in a secure position.

section 2 is usually used for context, and not included in the overall TSA score for what i know.
Hey thank you that's so useful!

I'm finding it all so strange, like I've just started to prep, but then half the people on this site seem to have started already earlier and then some look at it the day before the official test, and it's just as varied with revision methods.

My plan I think is to do the two most recent papers but the second in timed conditions, and then go through and highlight to colour code which types of questions I'm getting wrong and stare at them until i get it right. Then do as many others as possible I guess until there's improvements and if not, then a change of plan is required.

Still not sure about if books are useful or not, are you looking at getting any? Also, you thinking of any college in particular?
ruby <3
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey thank you that's so useful!

I'm finding it all so strange, like I've just started to prep, but then half the people on this site seem to have started already earlier and then some look at it the day before the official test, and it's just as varied with revision methods.

My plan I think is to do the two most recent papers but the second in timed conditions, and then go through and highlight to colour code which types of questions I'm getting wrong and stare at them until i get it right. Then do as many others as possible I guess until there's improvements and if not, then a change of plan is required.

Still not sure about if books are useful or not, are you looking at getting any? Also, you thinking of any college in particular?
I just started my tsa prep this week! i did a past paper, so will go through and work out which qs im struggling with (spoiler alert: it's definitely all the spacial reasoning) and then i'll just see how many of those i can practise ig? i don't really know what the best way to prep is! I'm applying to brasenose for geography
Holly_Si
Rep:
?
(Original post by ruby <3)
I just started my tsa prep this week! i did a past paper, so will go through and work out which qs im struggling with (spoiler alert: it's definitely all the spacial reasoning) and then i'll just see how many of those i can practise ig? i don't really know what the best way to prep is! I'm applying to brasenose for geography
Same! I think atm?
Heads up, maybe you already know but just seen you can register for the September 17th open day which is definitely virtual. Shame, really hoped it'd be possible to go, but maybe next year.
ruby <3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Same! I think atm?
Heads up, maybe you already know but just seen you can register for the September 17th open day which is definitely virtual. Shame, really hoped it'd be possible to go, but maybe next year.
thanks for the heads up! if you can get down to oxford, they'll probably let you in to have a look around! I'm applying for choral scholarships, and i got in touch with the director of music and he arranged for an organ scholar to give me a tour of college! if you get in touch with the admissions team (it's Dr Joe Organ if you're looking at brasenose) they could probably arrange for your name to be given to porters so you could be let in to look around
Holly_Si
Rep:
?
thanks for the heads up! if you can get down to oxford, they'll probably let you in to have a look around! I'm applying for choral scholarships, and i got in touch with the director of music and he arranged for an organ scholar to give me a tour of college! if you get in touch with the admissions team (it's Dr Joe Organ if you're looking at brasenose) they could probably arrange for your name to be given to porters so you could be let in to look around
Will bear that in mind thank you!

And good luck for the scholarship applications!
ruby <3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Will bear that in mind thank you!

And good luck for the scholarship applications!
no problem- all the colleges were super lovely and helpful when i asked! and thank you! - auditions will be in late sept which is a bit scary aha
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hola ruby<3,

Yes, prospective applicnats are very welcome to look around. The main gate on Radcliffe Square will either be open or unlocked (push it!) and the Porters will hand out prospectuses and say hello.

Brasenose Admissions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.69%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.98%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.81%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.17%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (65)
26.32%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.03%

Watched Threads