hi370762
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys, sorry if this might be a waste of time, but I turned 14 a couple months ago and am about to head into year 10 (9th grade) right now (living in the UK). I know this is currently a long shot seeing as I haven't even done my GCSE's but is there a chance that I could get into MIT via an international application?. I am currently predicted 8's and 9's in every subject and I already know that for my A levels I want to take maths, further maths, physics and possibly even history or computer science. Please do not hesitate to be honest with me, also if possible could someone explain to me how to apply for a seat and when I should start doing so?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I have moved your thread to then studying in North America forum, from the University of Cambridge forum.

You apply to MIT directly, they provide all the information required on their website. You would apply at the same time you would normally apply for unis in the UK (in your last year of school, starting in the fall - so usually early in year 13), although some of the deadlines are slightly different. The major difference is you will need to take the SAT or ACT, which I would suggest aiming to do in one of the summer dates before starting your last year of school to give you time to retake it if you need to.

Note that US unis (including MIT) put a lot more weight on extracurricular activities than UK unis, and generally want to see you have engaged in a wide range of activities at a high level, consistently over a long(er) period. They also want to see you have demonstrated leadership qualities in those, usually. So, just turning up to debate club or something, even if it's over the course of 4 years or so, doesn't really flag on their radar. They would want to see that you have e.g. been the head of the debate club and used that position to make meaningful, long term change within the club and also done something notable with it (e.g. led your team to compete at a regional level at least). That is just an example of course and there are many other ECs you could do with different ways to excel in them. But they do want to see you excel.

Getting into "top" unis in the UK is perhaps comparatively more straightforward because they basically only care about how well you have done academically and in the specific subject area(s) you've applied to. So whether you play the cello at lead in a major symphony level is irrelevant if you aren't applying for music as far as Oxford or Cambridge are concerned, for example - they would only want to see what you have done notably in your subject area (e.g. if you were applying for maths, taking part in the senior maths challenge/BMO would be very promising, although that is by no means required anyway).

This is of course assuming you are looking to apply there later during your A-levels as normal. If you are asking if you can apply now before even taking your GCSEs the answer is no, because they require a high school diploma or equivalent to apply I believe (which you will not have - the equivalent in the UK being completing your A-level/equivalent studies).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
Ice.Log
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Since MIT is an american university, make sure you've got exceptional extracurricular activities as well as perfect grades.

The competition for a place is extremely high, so try and get into a International Olympiad for Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Bio etc. You can do this by doing good in UKMT intermediate challenges and Intermediate Math Olympiads to be invited to the international ones.

Next, a perfect SAT score and ACT (not completely sure though). Check their page for more clarification.

This is just what I know as a UK student as well.
Last edited by Ice.Log; 1 month ago
boulderingislife
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ask again in two years 😜
hi370762
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks for the help everyone!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.47%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (32)
15.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.42%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (30)
14.93%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (55)
27.36%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (38)
18.91%

Watched Threads