Is 16 too young to get engaged? Should parents have to know

Watch
Grak9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Me and my boyfriend have known eachother all through secondary school, we got together a year and a half ago (I was 14 and he had just turn 15 a week before) and we are both really serious about this relationship. We have now left secondary school and he's 16 and I'm 15, turning 16 in just under 3 weeks and he wants to propose to me once I'm 16, I love the idea of this but I know my parents probably wont approve but I know me and him will last. We will wait at least 7 years to get married and an engagement isnt as big as marriage but I'm just unsure what to do.
username3477548
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
why do you want to get engaged at 16?
Last edited by username3477548; 1 month ago
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you guys are sure about this, there are no laws against it since you are just saying you will get married, it isnt definitive yet! But I would make sure to plan, can you guys survive together, financially, romantically, etc!
Grak9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
We are committed to eachother and both want the same thing in life.
volka
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, 16 is too young.
boulderingislife
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Too young imo. Wait until you are in your 20s
ReviseSleeping
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Grak9)
We are committed to eachother and both want the same thing in life.
But you're 16. In a few years time you could both want different things from life.

If you are that committed, I don't see how an engagement will change that?
a_human_being?
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry to kill the teenage dream, but you're both still developing as people. In three or maybe even two years, you will probably be completely different as to how you are now. He will appear different to you as well - and who knows what you'll think then?
Foxehh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You're both still kids, what you think you want now may not be what you want five years down the line- or even in one year. Yes it's too young.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes it’s too young. As others have said, if you’re committed to each other it doesn’t make a difference.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In general yes, much too young and to not tell your parents just sounds silly given you cant even get married without their permission, if memory serves.
Some people stay with their childhood sweethearts and get married and live happily ever after, most dont. why make it harder by getting engaged//married when it makes no tangible difference?
ashtolga23
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Grak9)
Me and my boyfriend have known eachother all through secondary school, we got together a year and a half ago (I was 14 and he had just turn 15 a week before) and we are both really serious about this relationship. We have now left secondary school and he's 16 and I'm 15, turning 16 in just under 3 weeks and he wants to propose to me once I'm 16, I love the idea of this but I know my parents probably wont approve but I know me and him will last. We will wait at least 7 years to get married and an engagement isnt as big as marriage but I'm just unsure what to do.
Yes it's way too young. Get each other a promise ring or something. There's a lot of life coming up soon, and it's lovely if you can get through that together, but 16 is too young to be getting engaged. It's best to do it when you wouldn't be scared about telling your parents.

If you're waiting to get married anyway (which is a good thing), why do you need this now? Usually people get engaged and then start planning the wedding.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm looking at the first post, and the thread title.
I can see quite a few people giving opinions, but nobody's really given the facts.

Facts:
1. You can get married at 16.
2. But, you need parental permission to do so.
3. Without parental permission, you must be 18 to marry.

Advice:
If you intend to be betrothed at age 16 but wait 7 years before marriage anyway, then why not just wait for an engagement later? Or keep your engagement a secret and inform everyone (including your parents) when you're older. Since you're intending to get married around age 23.
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Too young, at 16 you won't even know how alcohol and other things can affect your relationship after 18.
volka
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
I'm looking at the first post, and the thread title.
I can see quite a few people giving opinions, but nobody's really given the facts.

Facts:
1. You can get married at 16.
2. But, you need parental permission to do so.
3. Without parental permission, you must be 18 to marry.

Advice:
If you intend to be betrothed at age 16 but wait 7 years before marriage anyway, then why not just wait for an engagement later? Or keep your engagement a secret and inform everyone (including your parents) when you're older. Since you're intending to get married around age 23.
Actually, you can marry at 16 without parental permission in Scotland
64Lightbulbs
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ashtolga23)
Yes it's way too young. Get each other a promise ring or something. There's a lot of life coming up soon, and it's lovely if you can get through that together, but 16 is too young to be getting engaged. It's best to do it when you wouldn't be scared about telling your parents.

If you're waiting to get married anyway (which is a good thing), why do you need this now? Usually people get engaged and then start planning the wedding.
prsom
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by volka)
Actually, you can marry at 16 without parental permission in Scotland
I was taking a hunch that OP is English, and doesn't fancy a trip to Gretna Green.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
I was taking a hunch that OP is English, and doesn't fancy a trip to Gretna Green.
We do exist up here in the north, we’re not mythical. Well I am but I’m not representative.

OP in 1 year you’ll be a different person and so will he, leave any marriage talk for a good few years yet.
Imboredasf
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, way too young. What's the rush anyway?

You change a lot between the ages 16 - 24, and you could end up growing a part.
sarahjanesmith
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
way too young bruh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads