Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi so I’ve been dating my boyfriend now for almost a year and a half. I love him so very much and we’ve had to go through many struggles (what with getting together the week before the uk goes into lockdown). And he brings me so much happiness and joy and I can’t imagine life without him. The issue is I’m very protective and clingy and I’m worried that I’m doing him more harm than good. We’re long distance (kinda) so we will see each other for a week then not for a few weeks, and my issue is texts ect. I get upset if he doesn’t reply quickly or if I can see he’s been on another social media. And I can get quite angry at him if he doesn’t reply or make up stories in my head that I’ve done something wrong if he’s seems off with me one day. His replies to me aren’t even that bad. He will always reply within 2 or 3 hours at worst. I know I need to fix it but I keep seeing myself repeaT the same behaviour. And it’s getting to a point now where I need to fix it coz it’s hurting me because I’m making myself constantly upset and it’s hurting him coz he can’t have a night with his mates and not message me. I don’t want to break up with him coz he is my life, but I need suggestions on how to try and work on this. My best thought is to limit myself to replies, only allow myself to look at the messenging app once ever hour or so so I have the control in my hands. Does anyone have an opinion?
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you need to learn to live your life without him as well as with him, go out with friends, take time for yourself, being clingy will only push people away.

Maybe look into therapy as to why you are acting this way, or self-help books etc as it could be low self-esteem! However, I am glad you found someone who makes you happy ill wait for my wedding invite
username3477548
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, firstly you sound like a nice person for wanting to better yourself .

Remember to keep yourself as your top priority and learn how to be happy when you're not with them 24/7.
Have you told him how you feel about his slow replies?
Anonymous #1
The thing is his replies aren’t normally that slow, it’s just me being over reactive and clingy, and relying to much on messages. I have spoken to him about why I get so upset though. I think I just need to learn to be confident in myself and learn to not be so reliant on him to make my day good x
Anonymous #1
Hi! Thanks I do try to take time with myself but not too much 😂 I do need to more on that. And yeah he has said before that it does push him away. I think I just need to get myself used to being away and being by myself xxx thank you so much xx

and your invite will be in the mail
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi! Thanks I do try to take time with myself but not too much 😂 I do need to more on that. And yeah he has said before that it does push him away. I think I just need to get myself used to being away and being by myself xxx thank you so much xx

and your invite will be in the mail
Sorry this was supposed to be a reply to you

(Original post by AmIReallyHere)
I think you need to learn to live your life without him as well as with him, go out with friends, take time for yourself, being clingy will only push people away.

Maybe look into therapy as to why you are acting this way, or self-help books etc as it could be low self-esteem! However, I am glad you found someone who makes you happy ill wait for my wedding invite
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
The thing is his replies aren’t normally that slow, it’s just me being over reactive and clingy, and relying to much on messages. I have spoken to him about why I get so upset though. I think I just need to learn to be confident in myself and learn to not be so reliant on him to make my day good x
Sorry this was supppised to be a reply to you

(Original post by Qxi.xli)
Hey, firstly you sound like a nice person for wanting to better yourself .

Remember to keep yourself as your top priority and learn how to be happy when you're not with them 24/7.
Have you told him how you feel about his slow replies?
dafyddhedd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mate at least you’re trying to be considerate here. I get the anger thing, I was similar for a while but for different reasons. What I did to manage it was to just think of her face in my head and count to ten because I couldn’t stay mad at her really. I’ve noticed my tolerance and patience etc getting way better and back to what it was. It was an awful circumstance and things will get better. Stay with him if you’re happy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.25%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.46%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (43)
19.28%

Watched Threads