Family question everything I do

Watch
Iownuk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If I want to pick up a new hobby, they’ll question why I want to do it, then question my answer to the original question until they can finally tell me how silly it is

This goes for everything not just hobbies by the way. For instance, if I want to go out, my mom will ask me where I’m going then she’ll ask me why I’m going there, then she’ll ask me (if it’s with friends) what am I doing with them, then she’ll ask me why I’m doing the thing I plan on doing etc all just so she play it off as what I’m doing is weird or confusing. It’s such mind games and part of why I’m anxious to do anything that’s out of my comfort zone as she will get very nosey and extremely discouraging
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Iownuk)
If I want to pick up a new hobby, they’ll question why I want to do it, then question my answer to the original question until they can finally tell me how silly it is

This goes for everything not just hobbies by the way. For instance, if I want to go out, my mom will ask me where I’m going then she’ll ask me why I’m going there, then she’ll ask me (if it’s with friends) what am I doing with them, then she’ll ask me why I’m doing the thing I plan on doing etc all just so she play it off as what I’m doing is weird or confusing. It’s such mind games and part of why I’m anxious to do anything that’s out of my comfort zone as she will get very nosey and extremely discouraging
There is nothing worse than people being negative when what you really need is a little positive encouragement.But really it is their attitude at fault so perhaps be a little more teenager and give them less information and vague answers.Are your friends positive people,maybe they could encourage/join you in your new hobbies.It sounds like your mother has her own issues if she feels the need to undermine your confidence.
You sound articulate and perceptive and have identified the problem so try to ignore the negativity and push yourself to do those new things which will in turn boost your confidence.
Mr Rob
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you asked her why she keeps asking so many questions, or why she wants to know every minute detail on things? Doesn't sound like she's actively stopping you from doing things, but she is being out of order asking tons of mundane and pointless queries on your day-to-day goings on. Just be open about it - ask her, tell her how you feel. Don't whine, just be chill and see if she has an answer. Maybe slip in somewhere along the lines, that their negativity over you doing new things is making you unhappy as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (15)
14.85%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.92%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.94%
I need help with my personal statement (40)
39.6%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (25)
24.75%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.98%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (5)
4.95%

Watched Threads