I want to drop out of uni but i dont know what to do

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I do engineering

i seriously hate university, cannot put into words what it is doing to me.
I used to be such a happy person, loved my year out working but as i felt i had no other choice i ended up at university, it feels like its sucked the life out of me, all i do is sit around feeling depressed and stressed out about how much work i have to do and crying.

i wanted to drop out from day 1, but kept telling myself it would get better/that i hadn't given it a proper chance, but now i'm one term into my second year (out of 4) and i feel like its getting worse.

i feel whats massively pushed me over the edge this year is an assignment i recently got marks back for, i told myself 2nd year was a new start and since i only had this one assignment due in the first term i would work my ass off on it. I really did try, i've never put more work into a piece, and i proof read it and re-edited it loads, was pretty damn happy with it after my weeks of slog. got my marks back, i got 58%, i know this isn't bad, but i seriously don't get how it could of been any better and it was one of the easiest assignments i've had. My friend who's not overly academic and did her entire assignment the night before it was due got a better mark than me for gods sake. All that effort and i don't get any decent mark to show for it? whats the point?

The work is ruining my life, i'm not a particularly fast worker and i just can't keep up, i've got 8 assignments due in the space of 6 weeks soon and i'm pretty sure it's going to kill me doing them. I'm so sad all the time about it, i have to give up things i enjoy like seeing my friends/boyfriend just to keep doing more work.

i want to drop out, i really don't think i'm as academic as i was at school, but i'm massively scared what to do afterwards, i just want a job, a job that pays enough for me to live my own independent life, but i know they're so hard to find these days, i can't deal with the idea of being a 21 year old who works part time at a supermarket (which i already do now alongside my studies) and still lives with her parents.

Its not the course i hate i don't think, it's just the whole academic process, i can't see how i'm going to cope with all this work in this year whilst trying to find a placement for my 3rd year, and then come back and do the worst year out the 4 and a dissertation.

i need help and advice please
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What work were you doing during your gap year?
Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I do engineering

I used to be such a happy person, loved my year out working but as i felt i had no other choice i ended up at university, it feels like its sucked the life out of me, all i do is sit around feeling depressed and stressed out about how much work i have to do and crying.

i wanted to drop out from day 1, but kept telling myself it would get better/that i hadn't given it a proper chance, but now i'm one term into my second year (out of 4) and i feel like its getting worse.

i feel whats massively pushed me over the edge this year is an assignment i recently got marks back for, i told myself 2nd year was a new start and since i only had this one assignment due in the first term i would work my ass off on it. I really did try, i've never put more work into a piece, and i proof read it and re-edited it loads, was pretty damn happy with it after my weeks of slog. got my marks back, i got 58%, i know this isn't bad, but i seriously don't get how it could of been any better and it was one of the easiest assignments i've had. My friend who's not overly academic and did her entire assignment the night before it was due got a better mark than me for gods sake. All that effort and i don't get any decent mark to show for it? whats the point?

The work is ruining my life, i'm not a particularly fast worker and i just can't keep up, i've got 8 assignments due in the space of 6 weeks soon and i'm pretty sure it's going to kill me doing them. I'm so sad all the time about it, i have to give up things i enjoy like seeing my friends/boyfriend just to keep doing more work.

i want to drop out, i really don't think i'm as academic as i was at school, but i'm massively scared what to do afterwards, i just want a job, a job that pays enough for me to live my own independent life, but i know they're so hard to find these days, i can't deal with the idea of being a 21 year old who works part time at a supermarket (which i already do now alongside my studies) and still lives with her parents.

Its not the course i hate i don't think, it's just the whole academic process, i can't see how i'm going to cope with all this work in this year whilst trying to find a placement for my 3rd year, and then come back and do the worst year out the 4 and a dissertation.

Hi there

I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time. I know how frustrating it can be when you put lots of work into something and don't get the grades you think you deserve.

Have you tried speaking with your lecturers to understand why you received that grade - and what you could have done to achieve a higher grade? Getting this info can be hugely valuable and may help you to see where you went slightly wrong.

In terms of dropping out, have you tried speaking to the student support team at your uni? They may be able to offer you additional support which might help you to carry on with your degree.

Regards your placement, there should be teams at your uni who can help with this so that's definitely something to look into.

If you're serious about dropping out, it might be worth considering an apprenticeship. Apprenticeships allow you to work and earn money alongside your course - and can help you to secure a job at the end. You can find more info on engineering apprenticeships here.

Thanks and good luck!

Amy
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I do engineering

(Original post by Staffordshire University)
Hi there

I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time. I know how frustrating it can be when you put lots of work into something and don't get the grades you think you deserve.

Have you tried speaking with your lecturers to understand why you received that grade - and what you could have done to achieve a higher grade? Getting this info can be hugely valuable and may help you to see where you went slightly wrong.

In terms of dropping out, have you tried speaking to the student support team at your uni? They may be able to offer you additional support which might help you to carry on with your degree.

Regards your placement, there should be teams at your uni who can help with this so that's definitely something to look into.

If you're serious about dropping out, it might be worth considering an apprenticeship. Apprenticeships allow you to work and earn money alongside your course - and can help you to secure a job at the end. You can find more info on engineering apprenticeships here.

Thanks and good luck!

Amy
I second all of this excellent advice!

I also want to reiterate that you are not alone and there is support out there for you. Make sure you reach out to either you university support team or someone close to you.

I know how you feel about not achieving the same marks as someone who does it all the night before, it can be so frustrating. You just have to know that you did your best. Once you have your degree and a job, you will know how much effort you are capable of giving over one task and that work ethic will serve you well.

Again, I want to second what Amy has said, and if talking to academics about extensions and workload does not make it better, you can say you have tried your hardest and gave it a fair shot. Take some time to heal and then look into apprenticeships or jobs in the industry. You will have a certificate of higher education after completing your first year so that is something to show!

Good luck,
Lydia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (361)
84.15%
No (68)
15.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed