The Student Room Group

should I be allowed a break at work?

I’m 17 and have a 6 hour shift in retail, does this mean i’m entitled to a break at work? My manger has never mentioned me being allowed to go on a break so i’m thinking of just asking the next time i’m at work (only that he is a bit passive aggressive so I thought I’d just check on here first before he tries to embarrass me lol)
Reply 1
Yes you should deffo get a break! Work in retail too and get 30 mins of working 6 hrs. If you work for a big chain it might help to look at any policies you can find online. You can also always ask a colleague first if you want to double check and not go to manager first :smile:
At your age you’re allowed a 30 minute (ideally uninterrupted) rest break after 4.5hrs. Google ‘rest breaks at work, gov.uk.’
Original post by DrSocSciences
At your age you’re allowed a 30 minute (ideally uninterrupted) rest break after 4.5hrs. Google ‘rest breaks at work, gov.uk.’

Correct. It may be that your manager doesn't realise that you are entitled to one, as if you were an adult you would not be entitled to a rest break on a 6 hour shift. But as a 17 year old you are entitled to a 30 minute rest break on a 6 hour shift.
Original post by elizabethxo
I’m 17 and have a 6 hour shift in retail, does this mean i’m entitled to a break at work? My manger has never mentioned me being allowed to go on a break so i’m thinking of just asking the next time i’m at work (only that he is a bit passive aggressive so I thought I’d just check on here first before he tries to embarrass me lol)

Ignoring the technical details for a moment, it's actually in your employer's best interest to allow for breaks during work, since they have been shown to improve productivity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending