The Student Room Group

Which university is harder to enter when the entry requirements are the same?

I am aiming for BSc Physics. AFAIK, both ICL and Manchester have BSc physics with the same minimum requirements plus typical offers A*A*A. They both do not require interviews nor admission tests. What makes ICL/Manchester harder to enter? Does ICL/Manchester have a higher standard on your personal statement and the profile in general? Or does ICL/Manchester actually requires higher grades than A*A*A? How about UCL, Warwick, etc.?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Codemetry
I am aiming for BSc Physics. AFAIK, both ICL and Manchester have BSc physics with the same minimum requirements plus typical offers A*A*A. They both do not require interviews nor admission tests. What makes ICL/Manchester harder to enter? Does ICL/Manchester have a higher standard on your personal statement and the profile in general? Or does ICL/Manchester actually requires higher grades than A*A*A? How about UCL, Warwick, etc.?

Almost impossible to answer as it's going to depend on the relative strength of other applicants.

If it's a competitive, oversubscribed course, you'll be scored against your cohort and an outstanding app one year might be merely very good the next.

Short answer: Answer apply where you prefer, don't second guess where it's easier to get in. If you're predicted in that area, apply to four choices and wait and see what offers you get. Save your fifth choice as a safety or very ambitious pick.
Universities set their entry requirements according to the number of places they have, the number of applications they usually get and where they want to 'position' themselves in the market. Both Imperial and Manchester are top Unis for STEM subjects and they have set their entry requirements high - yes, they will score your entire application including your PS and I believe that Manchester may even interview, and yes, you will be up against people with higher grades/predicted grades than you - but this is not the same as 'you need A*A*A* to get an offer.

How to Avoid 5 Rejections - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending