ConfusedAmbivert
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Got an offer to study at Kent in Canterbury. I have visited the campus and it seems really nice and quite big.
But I also want to hear some other perspective on how they perceive Kent.

Are there a lot of sporty stuff to do around town? Is it quite artsy? it seemed pretty similar to Bath in some places... and most importantly, is it safe? What about the crime rates?

thanks in advance!
Kibser
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I grew up in Kent so it's just home to me. Some places are really pretty and you can find nice places dotted all over Kent. As you head north it becomes more industrial, especially in Gravesham, Dartford and Medway. Canterbury itself is quite nice; it's much more artsy than Maidstone. Honestly, the county is so big it's difficult to do justice in one post.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They have an archbishop who is quite a bigwig I hear
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ConfusedAmbivert)
Got an offer to study at Kent in Canterbury. I have visited the campus and it seems really nice and quite big.
But I also want to hear some other perspective on how they perceive Kent.

Are there a lot of sporty stuff to do around town? Is it quite artsy? it seemed pretty similar to Bath in some places... and most importantly, is it safe? What about the crime rates?

thanks in advance!
It's the Garden of England, so if you like beautiful cherries, strawberries and other summer treats it's the place to be.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
It's the Garden of England, so if you like beautiful cherries, strawberries and other summer treats it's the place to be.
Soon to be lorry park of England if news outlets were to be believed
ashtolga23
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Waitrose.
University of Kent Reps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey ConfusedAmbivert!

I'm currently on my fourth year of living in Canterbury and I absolutely love it! I love that everywhere you walk, there is so much history and natural beauty. You can walk around the town and you'll pass buildings listed that they were built as early as the 7th Century, which is mind blowing. The river Stour is really beautiful and you get to admire it from the high-street, or you can follow it through Westgate Gardens to Chartham and beyond. It'd really recommend this! It takes about 50 minutes to walk to Chartham and there's a lovely vineyard there that do cheap tours and excellent wine. There's a lot of art in Canterbury! From cool sculptures outside the library in town currently, to vacant stores being filled with art and architectural models from local University students, it's great to admire.

Canterbury feels super safe to me. Around town there everything is very well lit and busy so there's always someone to help if something happened. In the evening, as there are bars on the high-street, there are bouncers around to make sure everyone's okay, and the police roam around too to help as well. I've never felt unsafe during my time here. Even when I would walk from Tokyo Tea Rooms to Turing, the path is well lit the whole way, and once you're on campus there are 24/7 security. Since public transport is so good in Canterbury, you can take the bus home at even 3am in the morning!

Nathan
UKC Rep
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Soon to be lorry park of England if news outlets were to be believed
Quite. I think that's our Brexit Bonus :facepalm:
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Quite. I think th at's our Brexit Bonus :facepalm:
Obviously the Tories and UKIP-ers aren't Joni Mitchell fans, she wrote a whole song about this!
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kibser)
I grew up in Kent so it's just home to me. Some places are really pretty and you can find nice places dotted all over Kent. As you head north it becomes more industrial, especially in Gravesham, Dartford and Medway. Canterbury itself is quite nice; it's much more artsy than Maidstone. Honestly, the county is so big it's difficult to do justice in one post.
"industrial" is a charitable description of Medway
Kibser
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _gcx)
"industrial" is a charitable description of Medway
Look, it was the nicest way to say it's a nuclear wasteland without saying it's a nuclear wasteland 😂😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.03%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (10)
15.15%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (10)
15.15%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
12.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (25)
37.88%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (11)
16.67%

Watched Threads