aspiretobe
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys, so in preparation for the UCAT, amongst work experience also, I can feel myself burning out.

So: Current med students and other 2022 applicants, how are you dealing with this?

Thanks in advance
amber0321
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! I applied last year and also experienced this during my ucat prep, fortunately my ucat was still about 1.5months away when I experienced it. I took a week long break from practice just to relax, go out with my friends, do things I enjoyed etc. and then slowly eased myself back into practice (doing only 2 tests/week) and then increased back up to my usual daily mock test in the final week before mine. I also reduced the amount of work experience I had planned - as long as you have atleast two experiences to reflect on (not necessarily work experience - could be school clubs etc.) you should be fine
It’s really important to take breaks during your practice, doing well in the ucat is not everything and your health is much more important. I would also advise taking an approx. 2 week long break from thinking about medicine after your ucat just to reorganise yourself, however this depends on when your test is as you may have to begin writing a personal statement shortly afterwords.
Good luck for your test and with your application!
Squiggles1238
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello! I wanted to apply for the LLB at the end of this year to start in 2022, but unfortunately my biology AS level went dreadfully so ive decided to take another year in college and swap A level biology for politics. Whilst I studied for my AS exams, i felt myself become extremely burnt out as i wasnt using my time efficiently and i wasnt giving myself enough breaks. Now thats all over and done with, i can say that, for all of this preparation you need to do, use your time wisely. Prep for the UCAT bit by bit, by which i mean, do it in small chunks of time, perhaps more frequently. Work experience is an excellent opportunity, but remember you dont need tonnes, only 1 or 2 really good examples. So dont worry about trying to cram loads of work experience before returning back to college/sixth form
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hearing that applicants are becoming burnt out by the UCAT is...depressing. The application system shouldn't be this pressurised.

Yeah definitely take breaks and do normal summertime things - as an exam it should not require you to be working every hour of the day and night.
aspiretobe
Rep:
?
(Original post by amber0321)
Hi! I applied last year and also experienced this during my ucat prep, fortunately my ucat was still about 1.5months away when I experienced it. I took a week long break from practice just to relax, go out with my friends, do things I enjoyed etc. and then slowly eased myself back into practice (doing only 2 tests/week) and then increased back up to my usual daily mock test in the final week before mine. I also reduced the amount of work experience I had planned - as long as you have atleast two experiences to reflect on (not necessarily work experience - could be school clubs etc.) you should be fine
It’s really important to take breaks during your practice, doing well in the ucat is not everything and your health is much more important. I would also advise taking an approx. 2 week long break from thinking about medicine after your ucat just to reorganise yourself, however this depends on when your test is as you may have to begin writing a personal statement shortly afterwords.
Good luck for your test and with your application!
Thanks very much - my test is on the 21st.
I have more strongly been considering taking a gap year or deferred entry to give myself more time to think, as well as make some money. The main reason is to not rush into things, however. What are your views on taking a gap year?
Many thanks
aspiretobe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Squiggles1238)
Hello! I wanted to apply for the LLB at the end of this year to start in 2022, but unfortunately my biology AS level went dreadfully so ive decided to take another year in college and swap A level biology for politics. Whilst I studied for my AS exams, i felt myself become extremely burnt out as i wasnt using my time efficiently and i wasnt giving myself enough breaks. Now thats all over and done with, i can say that, for all of this preparation you need to do, use your time wisely. Prep for the UCAT bit by bit, by which i mean, do it in small chunks of time, perhaps more frequently. Work experience is an excellent opportunity, but remember you dont need tonnes, only 1 or 2 really good examples. So dont worry about trying to cram loads of work experience before returning back to college/sixth form
Hey, so I have been more strongly considering taking a gap year, actually. I think in the scheme of things it is such a low cost to pay - I may decide it isn't for me!
Thanks for the reply!
aspiretobe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
Hearing that applicants are becoming burnt out by the UCAT is...depressing. The application system shouldn't be this pressurised.

Yeah definitely take breaks and do normal summertime things - as an exam it should not require you to be working every hour of the day and night.
Yeah it is quite pressuring! Been considering a gap year strongly to give myself more time to think!
Thanks for the reply!
LividOwl9
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Democracy)

I think it's definitely been made worse by Covid. My school is making us sit another set of mocks in the first week back, because apparently is wasn't fair to make us sit them in June (which they did anyway) so they want to give us another chance. Which is good I guess but also means I have to do some heavy revision. And the earliest I was able to get hospital volunteering was next week as it only just opened up because of Covid. Then there's the UCAT. Then my part time job. It's all getting to be a lot on what is supposed to be a break.

I actually had to laugh at myself the other day, because I couldn't wait to go back to school so I could chill out a bit. Since when was school more relaxed than summer 😭 the way I see it after the mocks on the first week, I'll have my predicted grades and my UCAT, I'll have done all my ps and UCAS, submitted. Then I've got a month or so of just normal school and fewer hours at work until I have to start revising for the BMAT
amber0321
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by aspiretobe)
Thanks very much - my test is on the 21st.
I have more strongly been considering taking a gap year or deferred entry to give myself more time to think, as well as make some money. The main reason is to not rush into things, however. What are your views on taking a gap year?
Many thanks
Honestly I love the idea of taking a gap year! It gives you loads more time to recollect yourself and get more experience in a clinical setting (if you wanted!) and also to earn more money. I’ve got a full time summer job before I start in September so I can put some towards my accommodation costs. However it does mean you’d have to resit the ucat unless you applied this year for deferred entry, so this might be a better option

Just a quick add-on: Don’t put too much pressure on yourself during your application - there’s no requirement for 100s of hours of work experience and volunteering. You could even speak about your part time job at interview! It doesn’t have to be entirely med related, as long as you can link skills

Good luck!
Last edited by amber0321; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.1%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.78%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.93%
I need help with my personal statement (44)
37.29%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (30)
25.42%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.54%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
5.93%

Watched Threads