Codemetry
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am aiming for BSc Physics. However, I don't really have much proof of my enthusiasm towards it except for watching tons of YouTube physics videos and reading a few books to gain extra knowledge. Study is getting in my way, what can I do about it?

Besides, I am enthusiastic about quite a few subjects. I kinda put more of my time into other interests during my secondary life as they are not only about acquiring knowledge but also creating something actual, while I cannot do much with Physics e.g. I can't do meaningful experiments at home.

However, I do like solving problems a lot and made-up theories plus thought experiments. Plus, I really want to learn more about Physics. Based on the info above, do you think I should aim at other degrees (e.g. Computer science), or am I just overthinking?

Besides, are these appropriate to talk about in the personal statement for BSc Physics?

1. dream inventions
2. some kind of non-physics crappy theory without significant applications
3. self-made math problems with solutions
4. textbooks/youtube videos I read/watch on my own
5. music compositions
6. self-written programs / Softwares
7. non-physics related competition
Last edited by Codemetry; 1 month ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Of the things you mention, honestly, I would only put 4 in your PS. That's enough to show an enthusiasm for the subject beyond your A-level study. But don't just name drop these things, talk about what you read/watched and what you enjoyed.

You will also need:

An introduction- this gives a broad background to your interest in the subject and helps you highlight specific areas of interest.
Some discussion of your A-level study, including areas you specifically enjoyed.

You can also mention your extra curriculars briefly- this should be no more than about 1/3 of the PS.

It's also a good idea to include future plans.

You then need a conclusion to round off the statement.

The line limit is really quite short, so you don't need lots of padding, and there's no need to mention random or irrelevant stuff!
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is a good Uni of Essex short video - PS Do's and Don'ts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF5-vnhZRx8
with a very good PS Guide mentioned at the end that has good PS examples, with what is right/wrong about them.
Codemetry
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Of the things you mention, honestly, I would only put 4 in your PS. That's enough to show an enthusiasm for the subject beyond your A-level study. But don't just name drop these things, talk about what you read/watched and what you enjoyed.

You will also need:

An introduction- this gives a broad background to your interest in the subject and helps you highlight specific areas of interest.
Some discussion of your A-level study, including areas you specifically enjoyed.

You can also mention your extra curriculars briefly- this should be no more than about 1/3 of the PS.

It's also a good idea to include future plans.

You then need a conclusion to round off the statement.

The line limit is really quite short, so you don't need lots of padding, and there's no need to mention random or irrelevant stuff!
How do you think I should make use of the items? For example, do I only mention "I have a self-made theory and ... it improved my critical thinking" or is it advisable to talk about some of its details?
Also I didn't join any physics-related extra curricular activities, will it be a problem?
Last edited by Codemetry; 1 month ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Codemetry)
How do you think I should make use of the items? For example, do I only mention "I have a self-made theory and ... it improved my critical thinking" or is it advisable to talk about some of its details?
Also I didn't join any physics-related extra curricular activities, will it be a problem?
I wouldn't talk about theories you've come up with independently at all, except maybe as motivation for wanting to study the course. Talking about them in this way may be off-putting to admissions tutors.

You're not applying to a vocational course, so you don't need to demonstrate skills in your PS. You do need to show an academic interest in your subject.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.67%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (31)
15.9%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (29)
14.87%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (53)
27.18%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (36)
18.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed