I made a comment about my black friends hair

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My black friend got his hair done in braids and I saw it on a pic on Snapchat so I said “I like ur hair” he’s now acting really off with me and I’m really confused if it’s offensive to say that
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You complimented him - I'm not sure there's anything wrong with that? Ask him if he's okay. If he's a friend, you guys should be able to have that conversation.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by RazzzBerries)
You complimented him - I'm not sure there's anything wrong with that? Ask him if he's okay. If he's a friend, you guys should be able to have that conversation.
Yeah I will thanks , was just worried if I did something wrong idk
Mr Rob
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is this really what it's come to now?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mr Rob)
Don't start.
(Original post by Anonymous)
My black friend got his hair done in braids and I saw it on a pic on Snapchat so I said “I like ur hair” he’s now acting really off with me and I’m really confused if it’s offensive to say that
It's nice of you to be sensitive No, there's nothing wrong with what you said, and I'm sure he's not acting off with you because of this - perhaps there's something else on his mind.
RazzzBerries
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I will thanks , was just worried if I did something wrong idk
I understand, don't worry. Don't let your anxiety spin out of control! I'm sure it's nothing.
JustSomeGuyYKnow
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nothing wrong with what you said. On the other hand, I can understand some reactions from people who might have heard enough negative comments in their lives to misinterpret your intentions. Don't take it personally and be a little more understanding.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
As a black person I don't think it's offensive you just complimented his hair you're probably just overthinking it
username54
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mr Rob)
What?
Moonlight Rain
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's not a crime to say to someone you like their hair.
Mr Rob
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username54)
What?
I just find it genuinely baffling and ridiculous to patronisingly walk on eggshells with other human beings like this. I know it's well intended. Anyway, don't mind me, I'll see myself out.
username54
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What if he just has other issues on his mind? It's not that deep tbh
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Society is generally over-sensitive and I think some people are desperately looking for ways to be offended, so you have to be careful. It might have been a compliment but he probably took it a different way. Try to reach out to ask and don't assume. Unnecessary assumption tends to harm friendships and relationships. Good luck
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No it's fine. I'm not even sure why you mentioned your friend is black. Anyone with hair can get braids done.
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
He probably thinks you like him now, so he's trying to put you off.
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

he’s acting off because of something else.

If you asked him what was wrong, he might tell you. If not then don’t pester him.
Last edited by CaptainDuckie; 1 month ago
username54
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
No it's fine. I'm not even sure why you mentioned your friend is black. Anyone with hair can get braids done.
not really. White people can't get braids done cause it's not good for their hair texture. Their hair can fall out. Braids are a protective style for black people.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
not really. White people can't get braids done cause it's not good for their hair texture. Their hair can fall out. Braids are a protective style for black people.
Nothing you've said here contradicts what I said: anyone with hair can get braids done.
username54
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Nothing you've said here contradicts what I said: anyone with hair can get braids done.
Yes and i'm telling you it's not recommended for white people to get braids. I'm not trying to start any sort of argument, i'm trying to educate you and others.
CoochieMan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes and i'm telling you it's not recommended for white people to get braids. I'm not trying to start any sort of argument, i'm trying to educate you and others.
Yup ^^^ I've seen some white people's hair fall out in chunks because of the braids so it isn't recommended for some hair types
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
17.27%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.27%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.45%
I need help with my personal statement (42)
38.18%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (26)
23.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.82%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.36%

Watched Threads