The Student Room Group

I made a comment about my black friends hair

My black friend got his hair done in braids and I saw it on a pic on Snapchat so I said “I like ur hair” he’s now acting really off with me and I’m really confused if it’s offensive to say that

Scroll to see replies

You complimented him - I'm not sure there's anything wrong with that? Ask him if he's okay. If he's a friend, you guys should be able to have that conversation.
Reply 2
Original post by RazzzBerries
You complimented him - I'm not sure there's anything wrong with that? Ask him if he's okay. If he's a friend, you guys should be able to have that conversation.

Yeah I will thanks , was just worried if I did something wrong idk
Reply 3
Is this really what it's come to now?
Original post by Mr Rob

Don't start.
Original post by Anonymous
My black friend got his hair done in braids and I saw it on a pic on Snapchat so I said “I like ur hair” he’s now acting really off with me and I’m really confused if it’s offensive to say that

It's nice of you to be sensitive :smile: No, there's nothing wrong with what you said, and I'm sure he's not acting off with you because of this - perhaps there's something else on his mind.
Yeah I will thanks , was just worried if I did something wrong idk

I understand, don't worry. Don't let your anxiety spin out of control! I'm sure it's nothing.
Nothing wrong with what you said. On the other hand, I can understand some reactions from people who might have heard enough negative comments in their lives to misinterpret your intentions. Don't take it personally and be a little more understanding.

As a black person I don't think it's offensive you just complimented his hair you're probably just overthinking it
Original post by Mr Rob

What?
It's not a crime to say to someone you like their hair.
Reply 10
Original post by username54
What?

I just find it genuinely baffling and ridiculous to patronisingly walk on eggshells with other human beings like this. I know it's well intended. Anyway, don't mind me, I'll see myself out.
What if he just has other issues on his mind? It's not that deep tbh

Society is generally over-sensitive and I think some people are desperately looking for ways to be offended, so you have to be careful. It might have been a compliment but he probably took it a different way. Try to reach out to ask and don't assume. Unnecessary assumption tends to harm friendships and relationships. Good luck
He probably thinks you like him now, so he's trying to put you off.

he’s acting off because of something else.

If you asked him what was wrong, he might tell you. If not then don’t pester him.
(edited 2 years ago)
not really. White people can't get braids done cause it's not good for their hair texture. Their hair can fall out. Braids are a protective style for black people.
Yes and i'm telling you it's not recommended for white people to get braids. I'm not trying to start any sort of argument, i'm trying to educate you and others.
Are you a guy?
Whats your point? You may not have the same hair type as every white person but the matter of fact is braids are not meant for white peoples hair type. My facts are straight, you're just trying to make an argument out of a simple fact.
Thank you, so i don't know why people are trying to say anyone can get braids lol. It's not recommended for non black people's hair.

Quick Reply