Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
One of my old friends has spread lies about me to my friend group, after the two of us had an argument. I went on a completely innocent walk with her boyfriend because his parents had recently told him that they were separating. My parents separated a couple of years ago and he asked if I could go for a walk with him so he could speak to someone who understands exactly what he’s going through. My old friend interpreted this like I was trying to drive a wedge between her and her boyfriend which isn’t true whatsoever. She actually knows the boy I like and it’s not him. Anyway, she told my friend group about this and they all believe her unsubstantiated argument that I’m trying to split her and her bf up. She’s known my friend group much longer and they all trust her more than me. Ive lost all my friends and I don’t know what to do. If anyone has any advice it would be extremely appreciated. Tysm for reading
Pugsly
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your friend obviously has some insecurity/jealousy issues around you having what she may perceive, as an intimate conversation about delicate, personal matters with her partner. She must feel that it is meant to be her place to be a shoulder for him to lean on, not you. I'm not saying it's right, as you and this boy are entitled to be friends, but if you're intent on rectifying the situation perhaps talk to your ex-friend and explain that you could relate to his issue, and wanted to be supportive to both of them as a couple. It is not, however, your responsibility to shoulder the burden of helping these two improve their communication with one another.

On the back of that, these people might not even be worth your time, but I'll leave that up to you. Don't subscribe to drama or infighting - friends come and go in life, it is sad but it happens more and more as you get older. Hold your head high and branch out - you've done nothing wrong.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Pugsly)
Your friend obviously has some insecurity/jealousy issues around you having what she may perceive, as an intimate conversation about delicate, personal matters with her partner. She must feel that it is meant to be her place to be a shoulder for him to lean on, not you. I'm not saying it's right, as you and this boy are entitled to be friends, but if you're intent on rectifying the situation perhaps talk to your ex-friend and explain that you could relate to his issue, and wanted to be supportive to both of them as a couple. It is not, however, your responsibility to shoulder the burden of helping these two improve their communication with one another.

On the back of that, these people might not even be worth your time, but I'll leave that up to you. Don't subscribe to drama or infighting - friends come and go in life, it is sad but it happens more and more as you get older. Hold your head high and branch out - you've done nothing wrong.
Thank you so much for your advice - to be honest, I hadn’t thought about how although my actions were completely innocent, they could have caused her some insecurities or jealousies towards my presence. I’ve tried to speak with her about this on three occasions now but I was greeted with very sarcastic replies and I feel that no one will believe me. I just hope that the others will understand my side of the story eventually
Pugsly
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you so much for your advice - to be honest, I hadn’t thought about how although my actions were completely innocent, they could have caused her some insecurities or jealousies towards my presence. I’ve tried to speak with her about this on three occasions now but I was greeted with very sarcastic replies and I feel that no one will believe me. I just hope that the others will understand my side of the story eventually
It is sad that some people prefer to live their lives like a continuous episode of Coronation Street, than actually use their brains. Don't go begging for their friendship, just send her a heartfelt message explaining in no uncertain terms what you were doing, and that it wasn't romantic. Then tell her if she wants to talk about it, it's up to her. Flat out tell her you won't be chasing after her trying to explain yourself anymore, and that if she wants to discuss it further then she'll have to get back to you.

Of course, all of that is up to you, if you feel like it. But I've got no time for these pathetic wasters - there are better people out there you could be hanging out with that don't treat you like an extra in their script. I hope it works out for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads