Delphine Donkey's question

Watch
numnum1111
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
'Are English split infinitives a form of irregular verbs or past pronouns?'

Delphine Donkey asked Daddy Pig this question in an episode of Peppa Pig, and I'm wondering what the answer is.
Last edited by numnum1111; 1 month ago
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by numnum1111)

Delphine Donkey asked Daddy Pig this question in an episode of Peppa Pig, and I'm wondering what the answer is.
Neither!

The Oxford Dictionary defines a split infinitive like this: "a construction consisting of an infinitive with an adverb or other word inserted between to and the verb, e.g. she seems to really like it."

So it has nothing to do with irregular verbs or past pronouns, but is entirely a problem of word order, or syntax.

Now I have a question for you: what on earth is a "past pronoun"? Surely a pronoun is not a verb, and can therefore not have a past??? I think Dephine Donkey was being particularly asinine on this occasion... :laugh:
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by numnum1111)

As Anna Schoon says, they're neither. Inserting words between the 'to' and the verb doesn't have anything to do with irregularity: it just makes the construction more convoluted and less clear in 99% of cases.

Of course, the other 1% includes 'to boldly go' which, were it to be corrected, just doesn't work. That's more familiarity than anything else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads