Eumenes
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'll go point by point for each of their criteria. They do say "all must apply" but then "you might be able to" if others do.

• your university or college: going to Cambridge
  • your course: Medieval Studies MPhil
  • if you’ve studied a higher education course before: a BA
  • your age: 21
  • your nationality or residency status: UK national living in France.*

You can apply for full support if all the following apply:
  • you’re a UK national or Irish citizen or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay): I'm a UK national.
  • you normally live in England: whilst this is incredibly vague, I don't believe I do, no. I'll move there for the course but to live there permanently, not just study.
  • you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 continuous years before the first day of your course, apart from temporary absences such as going on holiday: I haven't.

You may be eligible for full support if you’re a UK national (or family member of a UK national) who:
  • returned to the UK by 31 December 2020 after living in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein: nope.
  • has been living in the UK, the EU, Gibraltar, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein for the past 3 years: this is where to my mind I am eligible. I've been living in the EU for the past 3 years and can prove it, but their questionnaire just says "computer says no" when I put my address as France. See below.

When I try and fill in their questionnaire, if I put that France is my "permanent home address" it says I can't take out a loan. But this is confusing - I do not live here permanently, nor do I live permanently in the UK. I plan to move permanently to the UK. I could put my grandmother's address, but I have no proof I'll be living there in September (which will be my permanent residence as my family home will no longer be in France). Beyond that confusion about "permanent home address", their own regulations say if you're a UK national living in the EU, you can apply - their questionnaire doesn't let you. I'm extremely confused and worried.

I'd appreciate any help or info on who to contact - thank you!

*I technically am also a French national, but I've been fighting for the past 3 years to actually get this recognised by the French government and obtain a passport - and doubt I'll be able to show SFE much to prove it. So for argument's sake, only a UK national, barring a miraculous shift in French bureaucracy allowing me to actually have the human rights I'm owed.
Last edited by Eumenes; 1 month ago
Eumenes
Rep:
?
Bump
Eumenes
Rep:
?
I am a UK national living in the EU. If I want to commence studies in the UK in academic year 2021/22 will I be eligible for home fee status and access to finance?

Yes, UK nationals and their family members living in the EEA or Switzerland at the end of the transition period, will generally be eligible for home fee status, tuition fee and maintenance support from Student Finance England for courses starting on or after 1 August 2021 and before 1 January 2028 if you meet the following conditions:
you are living in the EEA or Switzerland on 31 December 2020 (or have moved back to the UK immediately after living in the EEA or Switzerland); and
you have lived in the EEA, Switzerland, the UK or Gibraltar for at least the last three years; and
you have lived continuously in the EEA, Switzerland, the UK or Gibraltar between 31 December 2020 and the start of the course.

The SFE site also says this, so the mind boggles...
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Eumenes)
I'll go point by point for each of their criteria. They do say "all must apply" but then "you might be able to" if others do.

• your university or college: going to Cambridge
  • your course: Medieval Studies MPhil
  • if you’ve studied a higher education course before: a BA
  • your age: 21
  • your nationality or residency status: UK national living in France.*

You can apply for full support if all the following apply:
  • you’re a UK national or Irish citizen or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay): I'm a UK national.
  • you normally live in England: whilst this is incredibly vague, I don't believe I do, no. I'll move there for the course but to live there permanently, not just study.
  • you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 continuous years before the first day of your course, apart from temporary absences such as going on holiday: I haven't.

You may be eligible for full support if you’re a UK national (or family member of a UK national) who:
  • returned to the UK by 31 December 2020 after living in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein: nope.
  • has been living in the UK, the EU, Gibraltar, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein for the past 3 years: this is where to my mind I am eligible. I've been living in the EU for the past 3 years and can prove it, but their questionnaire just says "computer says no" when I put my address as France. See below.

When I try and fill in their questionnaire, if I put that France is my "permanent home address" it says I can't take out a loan. But this is confusing - I do not live here permanently, nor do I live permanently in the UK. I plan to move permanently to the UK. I could put my grandmother's address, but I have no proof I'll be living there in September (which will be my permanent residence as my family home will no longer be in France). Beyond that confusion about "permanent home address", their own regulations say if you're a UK national living in the EU, you can apply - their questionnaire doesn't let you. I'm extremely confused and worried.

I'd appreciate any help or info on who to contact - thank you!

*I technically am also a French national, but I've been fighting for the past 3 years to actually get this recognised by the French government and obtain a passport - and doubt I'll be able to show SFE much to prove it. So for argument's sake, only a UK national, barring a miraculous shift in French bureaucracy allowing me to actually have the human rights I'm owed.
I am a UK national living in the EU. If I want to commence studies in the UK in academic year 2021/22 will I be eligible for home fee status and access to finance?

Yes, UK nationals and their family members living in the EEA or Switzerland at the end of the transition period, will generally be eligible for home fee status, tuition fee and maintenance support from Student Finance England for courses starting on or after 1 August 2021 and before 1 January 2028 if you meet the following conditions:
you are living in the EEA or Switzerland on 31 December 2020 (or have moved back to the UK immediately after living in the EEA or Switzerland); and
you have lived in the EEA, Switzerland, the UK or Gibraltar for at least the last three years; and
you have lived continuously in the EEA, Switzerland, the UK or Gibraltar between 31 December 2020 and the start of the course.

The SFE site also says this, so the mind boggles...
Hi there, a UK National living in the EU/EEA can be eligible as long as you are in England by the start of the academic year.

You might be applying for a distance learning course and the system thinks you will be in France on the 01/09/2021.

Please apply by post if you can't apply online.

https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan/apply

Thanks, Isaac
Eumenes
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi there, a UK National living in the EU/EEA can be eligible as long as you are in England by the start of the academic year.

You might be applying for a distance learning course and the system thinks you will be in France on the 01/09/2021.

Please apply by post if you can't apply online.

https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan/apply

Thanks, Isaac
I literally phoned SFE and they told me you have to have been a resident for the past 3 years. Anyway, the course is in person and starts after the 1st.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I literally phoned SFE and they told me you have to have been a resident for the past 3 years. Anyway, the course is in person and starts after the 1st.

Please apply by post and our assessors will review your application. A UK National has the right to roam within the EU/EEA and return to be funded.

Thanks, Isaac
Eumenes
Rep:
?
Please apply by post and our assessors will review your application. A UK National has the right to roam within the EU/EEA and return to be funded.

Thanks, Isaac
The SFE website and people I've talked to on the phone have all explicitly made it clear that UK expats born abroad have no right to a loan or even, in theory, to home status fees. I don't see the point in losing time and energy over a postal application for it to be rejected again.

EDIT: Other representatives lay this out abundantly clear here too: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...ighlight=expat
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The SFE website and people I've talked to on the phone have all explicitly made it clear that UK expats born abroad have no right to a loan or even, in theory, to home status fees. I don't see the point in losing time and energy over a postal application for it to be rejected again.

EDIT: Other representatives lay this out abundantly clear here too: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...ighlight=expat
That was from 2 years ago and the advisor in that thread said

"UK nationals are not eligible for funding as home students if they have never resided in the UK prior to exercising their Right to Roam within the EU, EEA or Switzerland. Unless your daughter lives the full three years prior to the start of her course in the UK, she will only be eligible for EU funding (given that the three years prior are in the EU, EEA or Switzerland)."

Which was correct 2 years ago. Our regulations have changed.

Thanks, Isaac
Eumenes
Rep:
?
That was from 2 years ago and the advisor in that thread said

"UK nationals are not eligible for funding as home students if they have never resided in the UK prior to exercising their Right to Roam within the EU, EEA or Switzerland. Unless your daughter lives the full three years prior to the start of her course in the UK, she will only be eligible for EU funding (given that the three years prior are in the EU, EEA or Switzerland)."

Which was correct 2 years ago. Our regulations have changed.

Thanks, Isaac
If regulations have changed, why does the SFE questionnaire say you must reside in the UK for 3 years prior, something confirmed during a phone call to SFE?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If regulations have changed, why does the SFE questionnaire say you must reside in the UK for 3 years prior, something confirmed during a phone call to SFE?
A UK National doesn't need to reside in the UK, they need to have resided in the UK/EU/EEA.

As per our guidance:

UK National

Must have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for three years immediately before the first day of the first AY of the course
OR

Be ordinary resident in the UK on or before the 31st December 2020
Be ordinarily resident in the UK, Gibraltar, Switzerland or the EEA for the three years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course

-----------------------------------------------
UK Nationals Never Lived in the UK / Long Term Absence from Living in the UK

UK nationals who have never lived in the UK or have not lived there for some time will be able to apply for PGM if they meet the eligibility criteria below:

Resident in the EEA or Switzerland at the end of the transition period (on the 31st December 2020) and
Resident in the UK, Gibraltar, the EEA and Switzerland for three years prior to the first day of the first AY of the course.

Students should apply for support from the UK territory where they are undertaking their course. Students are not required to be ordinarily resident in England on the first day of the first AY of the course.

Thanks, Isaac
Eumenes
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
A UK National doesn't need to reside in the UK, they need to have resided in the UK/EU/EEA.

As per our guidance:

UK National

Must have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for three years immediately before the first day of the first AY of the course
OR

Be ordinary resident in the UK on or before the 31st December 2020
Be ordinarily resident in the UK, Gibraltar, Switzerland or the EEA for the three years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course

-----------------------------------------------
UK Nationals Never Lived in the UK / Long Term Absence from Living in the UK

UK nationals who have never lived in the UK or have not lived there for some time will be able to apply for PGM if they meet the eligibility criteria below:

Resident in the EEA or Switzerland at the end of the transition period (on the 31st December 2020) and
Resident in the UK, Gibraltar, the EEA and Switzerland for three years prior to the first day of the first AY of the course.

Students should apply for support from the UK territory where they are undertaking their course. Students are not required to be ordinarily resident in England on the first day of the first AY of the course.

Thanks, Isaac
Where has this guidance been produced from? Yet again, SFE have confirmed on the phone this isn't true.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Where has this guidance been produced from? Yet again, SFE have confirmed on the phone this isn't true.
It's our internal guidance that advisors on the phone have access to as well.

If you message us on Facebook/Twitter then myself or a colleague will review your account and we can see who you spoke to.

Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (358)
84.04%
No (68)
15.96%

Watched Threads