Student Finance after Apprenticeship

Watch
HuddFlower4
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi,

I'm 21 years old and I am just about to achieve a Level 3 Paralegal Higher Education Certificate from BPP (through a 2 year apprenticeship - the course was wholly funded by my employer).

I'm a bit confused on whether I can obtain full student finance funding for an undergraduate primary teaching (QTS) full-time university course.

I meet all of the residency requirements (I'm a UK national). I can't yet apply for student finance as my course would start in September 2022 (applications not open yet with SFE).

Also, if I had studied for the 2 years on the apprenticeship but then didn't achieve the Certificate, would this affect my student finance funding for a full-time undergraduate course?

Note, prior to my apprenticeship I obtained student finance for a full-time undergraduate degree, I realised in the first week that it wasn't for me and so I repaid both the tuition and maintenance fees in full to SFE.

Any guidance would be really appreciated.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by HuddFlower4)
Hi,

I'm 21 years old and I am just about to achieve a Level 3 Paralegal Higher Education Certificate from BPP (through a 2 year apprenticeship - the course was wholly funded by my employer).

I'm a bit confused on whether I can obtain full student finance funding for an undergraduate primary teaching (QTS) full-time university course.

I meet all of the residency requirements (I'm a UK national). I can't yet apply for student finance as my course would start in September 2022 (applications not open yet with SFE).

Also, if I had studied for the 2 years on the apprenticeship but then didn't achieve the Certificate, would this affect my student finance funding for a full-time undergraduate course?

Note, prior to my apprenticeship I obtained student finance for a full-time undergraduate degree, I realised in the first week that it wasn't for me and so I repaid both the tuition and maintenance fees in full to SFE.

Any guidance would be really appreciated.
Hi there, if this course is 2 years or less, non salaried and you will be achieving Qualified Teacher Status for the first time, then your previous study will not affect eligibility.
Thanks, Isaac
HuddFlower4
Rep:
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi there, if this course is 2 years or less, non salaried and you will be achieving Qualified Teacher Status for the first time, then your previous study will not affect eligibility.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac,

The course lasted exactly 2 years, it will be the first time achieving QTS but I was salaried by my employer during this period.

Also, I’ve now found out that the Certificate will be Level 4 rather than Level 3. The Degree I am looking to study is Level 6.

Will any of this affect my eligibility for full student finance?
HuddFlower4
Rep:
Hi Isaac,

The course lasted exactly 2 years, it will be the first time achieving QTS but I was salaried by my employer during this period.

Also, I’ve now found out that the Certificate will be Level 4 rather than Level 3. The Degree I am looking to study is Level 6.

Further to my previous reply, the course I will be applying for (undergraduate for September 2022) will be 3 years long.

Any guidance on this and the points in my previous reply would be really appreciated.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hi Isaac,

Further to my previous reply, the course I will be applying for (undergraduate for September 2022) will be 3 years long.

Any guidance on this and the points in my previous reply would be really appreciated.
You stated in your first post "'m a bit confused on whether I can obtain full student finance funding for an undergraduate primary teaching (QTS) full-time university course."

So I thought your query was about receiving funding for a QTS teaching course. However your latest replies state the course "lasted" which implies you already studied this teaching course and you are now going to study a 3 year course?

Please clarify further.

Thanks, Isaac
HuddFlower4
Rep:
You stated in your first post "'m a bit confused on whether I can obtain full student finance funding for an undergraduate primary teaching (QTS) full-time university course."

So I thought your query was about receiving funding for a QTS teaching course. However your latest replies state the course "lasted" which implies you already studied this teaching course and you are now going to study a 3 year course?

Please clarify further.

Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac,

Ah sorry for any confusion. To clarify: I have never studied for a teaching course before. The course I am wanting to apply for is a undergraduate 3 year degree of primary teaching with QTS.

When I say “lasted” I mean the Paralegal Qualification apprenticeship. The apprenticeship has lasted for around 2 years.

Hope this helps to explain the situation.

Thanks
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hi Isaac,

Ah sorry for any confusion. To clarify: I have never studied for a teaching course before. The course I am wanting to apply for is a undergraduate 3 year degree of primary teaching with QTS.

When I say “lasted” I mean the Paralegal Qualification apprenticeship. The apprenticeship has lasted for around 2 years.

Hope this helps to explain the situation.

Thanks
Our guidance for undergraduate teaching courses states:

Undergraduate ITT courses of over two years Bachelor of Education (BEd) courses are usually three or four years long and a student will gain a honours degree. These courses are ITT exception courses but are subject to previous study rules as they take longer than two years to complete.

So your previous study will affect eligibility if the course is over 2 years long.

Thanks, Isaac
HuddFlower4
Rep:
Our guidance for undergraduate teaching courses states:

Undergraduate ITT courses of over two years Bachelor of Education (BEd) courses are usually three or four years long and a student will gain a honours degree. These courses are ITT exception courses but are subject to previous study rules as they take longer than two years to complete.

So your previous study will affect eligibility if the course is over 2 years long.

Thanks, Isaac
Hi,

When you say “course” do you mean the undergraduate or the paralegal certificate.

When I’ve called the student finance helpline they told me as long as my paralegal certificate (level 4) was a lower level than the undergraduate I was applying for (level 6 honours) there wouldn’t be any finance issues. Also they said that primary teaching undergraduate is an “exception” so even if it wasn’t a lower level it wouldn’t be an issue for finances.

They even checked the course and knew it was 3 years when they gave the advice.

Please could you explain this point as it’s quite frustrating having different SFE reps telling me different things.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hi,

When you say “course” do you mean the undergraduate or the paralegal certificate.

When I’ve called the student finance helpline they told me as long as my paralegal certificate (level 4) was a lower level than the undergraduate I was applying for (level 6 honours) there wouldn’t be any finance issues. Also they said that primary teaching undergraduate is an “exception” so even if it wasn’t a lower level it wouldn’t be an issue for finances.

They even checked the course and knew it was 3 years when they gave the advice.

Please could you explain this point as it’s quite frustrating having different SFE reps telling me different things.

From my understanding you have completed(or about to complete) the paralegal course and now want to study a 3 year undergraduate teaching course so this is regarding the undergraduate teaching course.

Also they said that primary teaching undergraduate is an “exception” so even if it wasn’t a lower level it wouldn’t be an issue for finances.
Our guidance states:

So while a teaching course over 2 years IS an exception, any previous higher education study will affect eligiiblity.

Thanks, Isaac
HuddFlower4
Rep:

From my understanding you have completed(or about to complete) the paralegal course and now want to study a 3 year undergraduate teaching course so this is regarding the undergraduate teaching course.

Also they said that primary teaching undergraduate is an “exception” so even if it wasn’t a lower level it wouldn’t be an issue for finances.
Our guidance states:

So while a teaching course over 2 years IS an exception, any previous higher education study will affect eligiiblity.

Thanks, Isaac
I am having to make a decision whether to leave my apprenticeship (which is a massive financial decision) and apply for an undergraduate.

How am I supposed to make this decision if different SFE reps are giving different guidance?

I can’t apply for SF yet for my undergraduate as it starts in September 2022.

Is there ANY ways to get a formal written opinion from SFE before I officially apply for SF in Feb/March 2022?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I am having to make a decision whether to leave my apprenticeship (which is a massive financial decision) and apply for an undergraduate.

How am I supposed to make this decision if different SFE reps are giving different guidance?

I can’t apply for SF yet for my undergraduate as it starts in September 2022.

Is there ANY ways to get a formal written opinion from SFE before I officially apply for SF in Feb/March 2022?
The information I'm providing is correct and copy/pasted directly from our internal guidance, therefore not written by me.

If you apply straight when the application launches next year then you will have a decision well before September. You don't need to have a confirmed place at university to apply, you can apply for any university/course as it can be changed after.

Thanks, Isaac
HuddFlower4
Rep:
The information I'm providing is correct and copy/pasted directly from our internal guidance, therefore not written by me.

If you apply straight when the application launches next year then you will have a decision well before September. You don't need to have a confirmed place at university to apply, you can apply for any university/course as it can be changed after.

Thanks, Isaac
I appreciate that the guidance was copied from your internal guidance - but the question remains unanswered: how can I follow the guidance you have given me if multiple other SFE reps have given me completely different guidance?

I’m minded to put in an official complaint given that if I hadn’t triple checked the original SFE guidance (which I was profusely assured was correct and is documented on my CRN account) I would have quit my apprenticeship thinking I could get full SF when in actual fact the situation could be very very different.

This is a HUGE financial decision whether or not to cease my employment apprenticeship contact in order to pursue a degree course. I need solid guidance that I can DEFINITELY rely on as true and accurate.

Also, does it change the SFE position if I do not obtain the official qualification (I studied for around 1 year and 3/4 and had to come off the course due to lack of mental health support - my employer has agreed that I was in no way at fault for this)? For context, there is the potential that I may (if I choose to put in an “early leaver” application) obtain the Level 4 certificate but I am not bound to do so. This means I could leave the apprenticeship without any qualification.

Lastly, please could you explain the basis for the previous telephone SFE guidance which said that so long as the level of the apprenticeship qualification (level 4) was lower than the level of the course I would be applying for finance for (level 6), my SF eligibility would not be affected in any way by my previous apprenticeship study? I appreciate that you did not personally give this guidance but surely there must be truth to it if a qualified SFE rep confidently gave me this advice and assured me that it would be SFE’s position if I applied for SF in March 2022.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I appreciate that the guidance was copied from your internal guidance - but the question remains unanswered: how can I follow the guidance you have given me if multiple other SFE reps have given me completely different guidance?

I’m minded to put in an official complaint given that if I hadn’t triple checked the original SFE guidance (which I was profusely assured was correct and is documented on my CRN account) I would have quit my apprenticeship thinking I could get full SF when in actual fact the situation could be very very different.

This is a HUGE financial decision whether or not to cease my employment apprenticeship contact in order to pursue a degree course. I need solid guidance that I can DEFINITELY rely on as true and accurate.

Also, does it change the SFE position if I do not obtain the official qualification (I studied for around 1 year and 3/4 and had to come off the course due to lack of mental health support - my employer has agreed that I was in no way at fault for this)? For context, there is the potential that I may (if I choose to put in an “early leaver” application) obtain the Level 4 certificate but I am not bound to do so. This means I could leave the apprenticeship without any qualification.

Lastly, please could you explain the basis for the previous telephone SFE guidance which said that so long as the level of the apprenticeship qualification (level 4) was lower than the level of the course I would be applying for finance for (level 6), my SF eligibility would not be affected in any way by my previous apprenticeship study? I appreciate that you did not personally give this guidance but surely there must be truth to it if a qualified SFE rep confidently gave me this advice and assured me that it would be SFE’s position if I applied for SF in March 2022.
Apprenticeships are level 2, we don't fund apprenticeships.

that so long as the level of the apprenticeship qualification (level 4) was lower than the level of the course I would be applying for finance for (level 6), my SF eligibility would not be affected in any way by my previous apprenticeship study? I

That depends, if it's full or part time.

If you gained a level 4 higher education qualification, it would affect eligibility for future full time funding but not future part time funding.

Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (39)
22.81%
Note taking apps (5)
2.92%
Flashcards (31)
18.13%
Revision guides (5)
2.92%
Past papers (85)
49.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed