Should I pay the deposit and sign the tenancy agreement yet?

Watch
Ratchet Hoe
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
#1
Hi guys,

I have found accommodation I want to book, but the advance first instalment (£150) has a 1-day cooling-off period, and then there is also a tenancy agreement that will have to be signed in 2 days that binds you into the contract. The thing is that I am also looking for apprenticeships and if I find and one that appeals to me what would I do? I could be going into the 2nd year depending on what offers of I get
0
reply
Ratchet Hoe
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#2
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
#2
I'll bump this
0
reply
KatetheLecturer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
#3
Report 1 month ago
#3
Perhaps you should wait until you know for sure you are going to move into second year? Otherwise, the contract will be legally binding, and you'll still need to come up with the rent even if you won't be there (unless they'll accept you finding a replacement tenant, but you'll still be liable until they release you from the contract)
0
reply
Ratchet Hoe
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#4
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
#4
(Original post by KatetheLecturer)
Perhaps you should wait until you know for sure you are going to move into second year? Otherwise, the contract will be legally binding, and you'll still need to come up with the rent even if you won't be there (unless they'll accept you finding a replacement tenant, but you'll still be liable until they release you from the contract)
I looked more into it and once you send some of the first installment, I would get a tenancy agreement to agree too and have two days to sign it, like it is all so spooky to me. Thank you for also responding too. I am concerned that this place will go and I won't find anywhere convenient
0
reply
KatetheLecturer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
#5
Report 1 month ago
#5
(Original post by Ratchet ***)
I looked more into it and once you send some of the first installment, I would get a tenancy agreement to agree too and have two days to sign it, like it is all so spooky to me. Thank you for also responding too. I am concerned that this place will go and I won't find anywhere convenient
It might go- but the alternative is that you might get an apprenticeship you'd rather do, and be liable for the rent: perhaps decide when your cut off point for looking for internships will be, and look for a place to live after that instead? Or, alternatively, if this is a good place, accept that you aren't going to do an apprenticeship, and sign up. If you try to keep your options open indefinitely, you are putting yourself in danger of losing £150, losing £150 and being on the hook for rent for the rest of the contract, or not having anywhere good to live if you go into second year. It's easier to manage the uncertainty, I think, if you just create a deadline for yourself, and work to that.
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's worrying you most about starting back at school/college this year?

The potential for Covid to keep disrupting things (109)
14.53%
My mental health (110)
14.67%
Feeling behind academically (142)
18.93%
Making friends/social anxiety (135)
18%
How to organise myself (25)
3.33%
How to revise/study effectively (89)
11.87%
Future career, uni, pathway planning and applications (125)
16.67%
Something else - let us know in the thread (15)
2%

Watched Threads

View All