Red Crew Man
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If applying to UNI, can the portfolio be published on Wordpress?
Plymouth College Of Art
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello there!

I'm glad you're thinking about how best to showcase your work ahead of an interview!
Your portfolio can take any shape/form it needs to showcase your work! If it's relevant for your work to be on wordpress/presented in that specific way, that's absolutely fine!
Is your interview online or in person and what course/s are you thinking of applying for?
At Plymouth College of Art, we accept portfolios in any way the student feels showcases their work best (both successful and unsuccessful pieces) and I imagine most Universities do as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions that I can help out with in regards to portfolios!

All the best,
Jess Holloway
Student Ambassador and First year MA Illustration Student
Red Crew Man
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Plymouth College Of Art)
Hello there!

I'm glad you're thinking about how best to showcase your work ahead of an interview!
Your portfolio can take any shape/form it needs to showcase your work! If it's relevant for your work to be on wordpress/presented in that specific way, that's absolutely fine!
Is your interview online or in person and what course/s are you thinking of applying for?
At Plymouth College of Art, we accept portfolios in any way the student feels showcases their work best (both successful and unsuccessful pieces) and I imagine most Universities do as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions that I can help out with in regards to portfolios!

All the best,
Jess Holloway
Student Ambassador and First year MA Illustration Student
Hello Jess,

thank you for replying to my question!
I still have 1 more year left until I can go to uni meaning I will be applying in October or November.
I would probably go for something in the realm of design.
Plymouth seems like a nice university but its too far away from me unfortunately.
I am not sure how my interview will be.

I have one more question. How did you present your portfolio to the university? How long does it need to be?

Regards
Red Crew Man
Plymouth College Of Art
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Red Crew Man)
Hello Jess,

thank you for replying to my question!
I still have 1 more year left until I can go to uni meaning I will be applying in October or November.
I would probably go for something in the realm of design.
Plymouth seems like a nice university but its too far away from me unfortunately.
I am not sure how my interview will be.

I have one more question. How did you present your portfolio to the university? How long does it need to be?

Regards
Red Crew Man
Happy to help!
Amazing to hear you're thinking so far ahead!!
Something design-driven would fit being on a website/a digital portfolio really well! It's such an easy way for a tutor to look at your work!
That's not a problem, Plymouth can be quite far if you live further North!
Our interviews are more like a conversation, as I imagine other Universities' interview processes might be. I'll walk you through ours and it can at least be a good indicator for what others may be like!
We tend to let the tutor look at the portfolio for ten or so minutes before taking the student to meet the tutor in question, this is so the tutor can familiarise themselves with the work and is also a great starting point for a conversation! The institution will want to know about you and your work, why you're interested in the subject etc. but it's also the perfect time to make sure you feel like the institution is right for YOU!

So I've personally had two interviews for Uni (one for degree level and one for the MA) - I'm an illustration student so the degree one was a sketchbook filled with personal work, and the MA portfolio was a google slideshow as I applied in the heat of lockdown number one! We recommend prospective students aim to have 15-30 pieces of their work. This might be work you feel is successful, as well as unsucessful (this is so you articulate what you weren't happy about with a particular piece, which shows you're thinking academically!) but in all honesty, we want to see your passion for the subject! Your work will often change drastically over the course of your study, so it's not the be all and end all!

Hope that helps a bit! Hit me up with any other questions

Jess
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (0)
0%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (1)
25%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (1)
25%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (1)
25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (1)
25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (0)
0%

Watched Threads