SanrioDollx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m really nervous about my progress in my GCSEs, I had to move schools last October as it was much closer to my house. Now in June, I can’t return to my house due to it being unfit to return to so now I’m staying at my aunt’s house for the time being, I’ve missed like half of my year 10 mocks because of it. Now, my dad has found a house, but it’s in a different city and I might have to move schools once again. My last year is in next month so I don’t know how long it’s gonna take me to get back into education. I’m struggling even getting level 5s in my predicted grades so I’m scared I might have to retake them, any advice?
Mirai227
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Could you maybe give me some more information? What subjects are you doing? How well are you doing in all of them? Do you have any mental health issues (ADHD, depression, anxiety etc.) that could hinder your ability to self-study?
Mirai227
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Alright so I'm assuming that you are going to have to self-study for this so I'm going to provide as many useful tips as I can. My predicted grades were mostly 5s/6s last year and now I'm leaving with mostly 8s and 9s (with 3 6s and a 5) so hopefully I can offer some good advice.

For now, I simply suggest planning out what you are going to do next year, and refreshing what you already know. Then, get started with some serious revision for next several weeks.

For planning, I suggest this (set aside time tomorrow to do this):

1. Find resources for all your subjects. For languages, find a pre-made vocabulary course on memrise, and also get ahold of a textbook that is full of practice questions. For maths, find a revision guide and workbook (I recommend CGP), and try websites and YouTube videos like HegartyMaths or Corbett maths. For science, get the CGP revision guides, and also look for practice questions (you'll need those for science trust me) and past papers. You can also find pre-made flashcards on Quizlet for entire papers. For English, look at youtubers like Mr Bruff, Mr Salles and Stacey Reay for analysis and advice. For other subjects, just get a CGP revision guide and workbook, since they usually won't fail you (could you tell me what subjects you are doing so I can offer some clearer advice?).

2. Get the specifications for all your subjects, and split them into topics and sub topics. For each topic, figure out how long it will take you to learn it (I'll tell you how to do that more quickly and efficiently later on). Aim to cover all of your subjects before December (because that is usually when mocks are), and spread the topics across the next 15 weeks.

3. Figure out what time of the day you work best at, and how long you are capable of revising for and then revise set up a revision schedule (e.g. On a Monday morning from 6:00 - 8:00 you could revise for biology, English language, maths and physics in 30 minute segments). You can ask for some more advice on that if you want.

As for refreshing your knowledge, I suggest this (do this until September):
- Go through your notes so far, and then close them, and try to summarise the information that has been said without looking at them
- for subjects like English literature or media studies where you have set texts, quickly reread the texts, and try to briefly annotate them (keep asking yourselves questions about what meaning could be conveyed, and draw on your own knowledge).
- go through flashcards on Quizlet
- type condensed notes for your more content heavy subjects (only on what you have already done)
- keep this part chill as you really need to relax in the summer holidays

If you would like some subject specific study advice, then can you reply to this with your subjects?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed