The Student Room Group

What would you like to see from TSR?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Son of the Sea
Make people have to verify their account by clicking a link in the email they sign up with. That'll make it much more tedious for trolls to make a dupe 20 seconds after they're banned.

Noted! :smile:
TSR will always attract trolls, there's no way of getting away from this.
The vast majority of these trolls regurgitate the same boring rubbish, they should not be encouraged. A very small minority of these trolls genuinely have something to contribute, they enrich the user experience. Think of them like gut bacteria, a healthy microbiome is essential for function.
Posts by these type of trolls should be preserved and put into a directory for all to enjoy, art work shouldn't be vandalised.
Neg rep so that we can immediately identify and shame trolls.

Negative attention = troll food.
Original post by Broken Leg
Negative attention = troll food.

Trolls currently get more food by only being able to receive positive reps and quoted. If there's neg rep you can identify trolls and don't need to quote them as much because the thumbs down speak for themselves.
And then they wonder why this site resembles a landfill, both in form and smell. Snowflakes need to be melted, not encouraged.
Trolls currently get more food by only being able to receive positive reps and quoted. If there's neg rep you can identify trolls and don't need to quote them as much because the thumbs down speak for themselves.

Are you talking about a negative rep function that is specifically for indicating that a user is trolling and not disagreement?
Brilliant idea.
Original post by Broken Leg
Are you talking about a negative rep function that is specifically for indicating that a user is trolling and not disagreement?
Brilliant idea.

It can be used for both, obviously. Seems silly that this site thinks people can't deal with a thumbs down that it had to be removed lmao.
Personally the relationship forum I think needs to be completely reworked, there are far to many trolls. Simple ways of sorting some of this out is having a simple ban for the ones that are talking about having incest with family and things like that. Also I understand some places need anon feature, but it isn’t needed site wide . A rework of that would be needed definitely.
Original post by StriderHort
Kill off or seriously restrict the anon feature and more stringent 'new user' checks in terms of verification/initial moderated posts etc. Things have swung way too far in favour of grey dross and genuine content just sinks. (I honestly perceive staff to have somewhat lost control)

Agree with this. I’m not sure why the universities forum has an anonymous function and think it should be removed.

As others have pointed out: introduce email verification when signing up, because it’s tedious to keep reporting the same troll 20 odd times per night and in all honesty, I sometimes don’t even bother after the first 3.

Another point would be to make moderation more reasonable (as @final fantasy described), or to at least provide a reason as to why a post is removed other than the basic “it breaches community guidelines” - because I’ve had to make wild guesses for the reasons for all of my removed posts in the past, which isn’t helpful.
Neg rep so that we can immediately identify and shame trolls.

this ^^

and idk a group chat feature??
you could send invites to ppl through pms and they can accept or decline yk and itll look like a thread but only the ppl in the gc (and mods etc ofc) can see
Sort out the app! :rofl: make it more user friendly, include more features and bring it more in line with the website etc. I imagine lots of users are put off by it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Agree with this. I’m not sure why the universities forum has an anonymous function and think it should be removed.

As others have pointed out: introduce email verification when signing up, because it’s tedious to keep reporting the same troll 20 odd times per night and in all honesty, I sometimes don’t even bother after the first 3.

Another point would be to make moderation more reasonable (as @final fantasy described), or to at least provide a reason as to why a post is removed other than the basic “it breaches community guidelines” - because I’ve had to make wild guesses for the reasons for all of my removed posts in the past, which isn’t helpful.

Anon was almost certainly rolled out across more sections to see if it would improve the amount of posting, it was originally a trail I think. If you want to actually create a community - you need to know something about the person you are replying to. Anon should be available but only in areas of very personal issues and should be policed far more than it is currently. If there is a post you want to make elsewhere and stay anonymous, then a duplicate account is a more favourable option.

Email verification has been re-introduced lately, if I'm not mistaken.

The mods are often too busy (re: there are not enough of them, particularly outside of business hours) for proper explanations.
Original post by hey yall
you could send invites to ppl through pms and they can accept or decline yk and itll look like a thread but only the ppl in the gc (and mods etc ofc) can see

Really don't see that happening, sounds like a nightmare to implement and moderate lol.
That's true. Might be better as a more-long term objective.
Original post by hey yall

There used to be something called the shoutbox which is the same idea. They won't be bringing that back any time soon, though, or anything else from the backroom.
Reply 35
Less virtue signalling
Get rid of Anon! (apart from very sensitive forums like mental health/sexual health).

Anons are doing so much harm to this site and mostly Anon is used where it is completely unnecessary and often for someone to hide behind just to insult/belittle other users. I barely ever even respond to Anons anymore because they have been rude to me so often.
Really don't see that happening, sounds like a nightmare to implement and moderate lol.

That existed (still does to an extent) but it was a huge moderation nightmare and I wouldn't support it's reintroduction.

yh but its worth a shot :redface:

Original post by Reality Check
There used to be something called the shoutbox which is the same idea. They won't be bringing that back any time soon, though, or anything else from the backroom.

oof unlucky

i do think neg rep is a good idea tho like maybe too much neg rep and it gets a look at??
or not i really dont know anymore
Original post by harrysbar
Get rid of Anon! (apart from very sensitive forums like mental health/sexual health).

Anons are doing so much harm to this site and mostly Anon is used where it is completely unnecessary and often for someone to hide behind just to insult/belittle other users. I barely ever even respond to Anons anymore because they have been rude to me so often.

Here's a tip! You can put anon on your ignore list, makes the place much better :yes:

You can still chose to view individual posts if you need to.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest