The Student Room Group

Maths A-level- a necessity?

Would a maths A-level be truly necessary for a degree in medicine or biomedical sciences? A few higher tier universities only specify chemistry along with 'at least one other of Maths, Biology, Physics'.

I've decided to take chemistry and biology, but am wondering if those admitted to higher tier unis (and didn't take maths A-level) struggled with their courses?

Scroll to see replies

No. See here for medicine: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422 Cambridge is the only medical school that even requires 3 STEM subjects, and even there only some colleges require the third be A-level Maths (the rest are happy with maths or physics).

For biomedical sciences it is probably unnecessary, although of course bear in mind all science degrees are necessarily mathematical to some extent so if your hope is to avoid maths entirely then you should probably look at non-science degrees. However for biomedical sciences the maths level is probably relatively low at most unis other than generally being able to think quantitatively, interpret graphs, understand indices (and logarithms), do some statistics work and simple algebraic rearranging maybe. However there is more maths involved in some other science degrees (e.g. biochemistry), so that may be something to bear in mind.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
The only university that requires students to have Bio, Chem and Maths or Physics is Cambridge other than with Bio and Chem you can apply to all med schools granted you meet their other criteria such as GCSEs or BMAT/UCAT.
I have been saying this for nearly 15 years on here, but you do not need maths to get into medicine.

There is no A level standard maths covered at any point in any UK medical degree.

The concept of "higher tier" medical schools is in itself deeply flawed and inaccurate. Chemistry and biology will be fine :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
I have been saying this for nearly 15 years on here, but you do not need maths to get into medicine.

There is no A level standard maths covered at any point in any UK medical degree.

The concept of "higher tier" medical schools is in itself deeply flawed and inaccurate. Chemistry and biology will be fine :smile:

Are you sure that is 15?? I mean, you are a medic, so probably have no maths skills at all :lol:
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
No. See here for medicine: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422 Cambridge is the only medical school that even requires 3 STEM subjects, and even there only some colleges require the third be A-level Maths (the rest are happy with maths or physics).

For biomedical sciences it is probably unnecessary, although of course bear in mind all science degrees are necessarily mathematical to some extent so if your hope is to avoid maths entirely then you should probably look at non-science degrees. However for biomedical sciences the maths level is probably relatively low at most unis other than generally being able to think quantitatively, interpret graphs, understand indices (and logarithms), do some statistics work and simple algebraic rearranging maybe. However there is more maths involved in some other science degrees (e.g. biochemistry), so that may be something to bear in mind.

Thanks this helps!
Reply 6
Original post by Democracy

Thank you!
Original post by Alpenglow_
Would a maths A-level be truly necessary for a degree in medicine or biomedical sciences? A few higher tier universities only specify chemistry along with 'at least one other of Maths, Biology, Physics'.

I've decided to take chemistry and biology, but am wondering if those admitted to higher tier unis (and didn't take maths A-level) struggled with their courses?

You've had the experts answer you in no uncertain terms, so you can't do better than that. The only time I could see an A level in maths might be useful for you during the term of a medical degree is if you were going to intercalate and knew already that your chosen topic would benefit from a good mathematical grounding. Even then, it's by no means mandatory.
Original post by Alpenglow_

Mathematics is the best A-level you can choose pretty much for all undergraduate courses that exist out there in Universities.
It's highly valued and it gives a candidate the greatest boost and very good chances to get into that course. You also exercise your brain and become 'smarty'.

However you don't always need maths to get into an Undergraduate Course.

Most graduates from the biomedical sciences and medicine are either weak or irrelevant with maths as they haven't studied Maths at A-level or beyond and their level of knowledge stops at GCSE.

The regulations should change obviously in the next few years. If you want to apply for medicine or biomedical sciences you should have a minimum of an A-level in Maths.
No A-level Maths no medicine and no biomedical sciences. For the obvious reasons.
(edited 2 years ago)
I would agree with the above on its usefulness. Even vocationally, it is a very good A level to have.
Reply 10
Original post by Lucifer323
Mathematics is the best A-level you can choose pretty much for all undergraduate courses that exist out there in Universities.

I think there are a few musicians, historians, linguists, performers, etc who might disagree with that!

It's highly valued and it gives a candidate the greatest boost and very good chances to get into that course. You also exercise your brain and become 'smarty'.

It makes precisely zero difference in medicine, except at Cambridge (although they will accept Physics instead. It does not boost a medicine applicants choices and makes no difference to chances of a place, although there is some correlation with Further Maths and a good performance at BMAT

However you don't always need maths to get into an Undergraduate Course.

As above, apart from applicants to Cambridge, you don't ever need maths to get on to a medicine course, and I would hazard a guess for biomed, too

Most graduates from the biomedical sciences and medicine are either weak or irrelevant with maths as they haven't studied Maths at A-level or beyond and their level of knowledge stops at GCSE.

Most medicine applicants actually have studied maths at A level, as it is the commonest 3rd A level, but it wouldn't matter if they only had GCSE level maths, as that is all that is needed for an application

The regulations should change obviously in the next few years. If you want to apply for medicine or biomedical sciences you should have a minimum of an A-level in Maths.
No A-level Maths no medicine and no biomedical sciences. For the obvious reasons.

Can you give your evidence for suggesting regulations should change, please? They have, in recent years, been moving away from a heavy science/maths focus in terms of A level requirements.
I might be stupid (although I have a maths A level), but what are the obvious reasons you should have maths A level, at last for medicine (I know nothing about biomed), as they are not obvious to me?
Reply 11
Original post by TCA2b
I would agree with the above on its usefulness. Even vocationally, it is a very good A level to have.

I know nothing about biomedicine, but how is it a good A level to have vocationally in medicine?
Original post by GANFYD
I think there are a few musicians, historians, linguists, performers, etc who might disagree with that!

It makes precisely zero difference in medicine, except at Cambridge (although they will accept Physics instead. It does not boost a medicine applicants choices and makes no difference to chances of a place, although there is some correlation with Further Maths and a good performance at BMAT

As above, apart from applicants to Cambridge, you don't ever need maths to get on to a medicine course, and I would hazard a guess for biomed, too

Most medicine applicants actually have studied maths at A level, as it is the commonest 3rd A level, but it wouldn't matter if they only had GCSE level maths, as that is all that is needed for an application

Can you give your evidence for suggesting regulations should change, please? They have, in recent years, been moving away from a heavy science/maths focus in terms of A level requirements.
I might be stupid (although I have a maths A level), but what are the obvious reasons you should have maths A level, at last for medicine (I know nothing about biomed), as they are not obvious to me?

PRSOM.

Also, I now wonder how all those arts graduates do so well at GEM...
Reply 13
Original post by Reality Check
PRSOM.

Also, I now wonder how all those arts graduates do so well at GEM...

Secret maths A level on the side, clearly :tongue:
Original post by GANFYD

Just think why Mathematics should be a key subject for entry in all undergraduate courses and especially in science, medicine, and engineering.

In my opinion regulations should change. It doesn't mean they will change.
What Cambridge does is wise and the other Universities should follow. However they may don't want to discourage applicants from applying as Mathematics could be a barrier sometimes.

Having Maths at A-level and with a good grade is highly regarded when you make applications for any course in science, medicine, and engineering. Some of the things you have described are just not true.

Musicians & historians may disagree. But their disagreement is irrelevant in this case.

What Cambridge does is wise and the other Universities should follow.

Cambridge doesn't mandate maths for medicine though...
Original post by Reality Check
Cambridge doesn't mandate maths for medicine though...

"As above, apart from applicants to Cambridge, you don't ever need maths to get on to a medicine course, and I would hazard a guess for biomed, too"

Part of the reply from the other user.

I never said it does mandate it by the way. I saw this reply and answered it. If it is correct then they do well in Cambridge. And others should follow.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
Having Maths at A-level and with a good grade is highly regarded when you make applications for any course in science, medicine, and engineering. Some of the things you have described are just not true.

What is your evidence that maths is highly regarded for medicine? No med schools even look at whether somebody has maths, provided they meet minimum requirements for subjects.
Which bits are not true? With supporting evidence, please
Reply 18
"As above, apart from applicants to Cambridge, you don't ever need maths to get on to a medicine course, and I would hazard a guess for biomed, too"

Part of the reply from the other user.

I never said it does mandate it by the way. I saw this reply and answered it. If it is correct then they do well in Cambridge. And others should follow.

My response, if oyu have read it, says Cambridge will accept Physics instead of maths?

So in your n=1 opinion, Cambridge is right and the the other 38 medical schools are wrong? Oooooookay
Original post by GANFYD
What is your evidence that maths is highly regarded for medicine? No med schools even look at whether somebody has maths, provided they meet minimum requirements for subjects.
Which bits are not true? With supporting evidence, please

Maths is the most highly regarded A-level in the strong academic subjects for University study.

I never said particularly in medicine. However if you were to apply for medicine and you had Biology, Chemistry, and Maths at A-level then your application would have been very very strong.

Quick Reply

Latest