The Student Room Group

should I take a year out of uni?

im going into second year of uni and i have been getting pains in my shoulder, neck and back ever since march and Tbh the pain has subsided by 30% but it is still not bearable to study with. i cant type or write without being in pain. would you suggest I take a year out or would you say I go ahead and take on the year. and knowing that we need to go in person to study I am scared that I wouldn't be able to perform well.
Original post by Anonymous
im going into second year of uni and i have been getting pains in my shoulder, neck and back ever since march and Tbh the pain has subsided by 30% but it is still not bearable to study with. i cant type or write without being in pain. would you suggest I take a year out or would you say I go ahead and take on the year. and knowing that we need to go in person to study I am scared that I wouldn't be able to perform well.

You could have a tweaked or pinched nerve which can be a cause of shoulder neck and back, my fella had it and ended up in physiotherapy and did some exercises which helped, but yeah speak with the doctors and they can check it out. As for uni, speak to the uni to see what your options are. Good to ask them now rather than when term starts :smile:
.tb_button {padding:1px;cursor:tongue:ointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursor:tongue:ointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you are in pain, it sounds uncomfortable. Have you spoken to a doctor about the pain to try and uncover what it is? It may be something that can be sorted in a few weeks or months with regular exercises for example. If that's the case, you'd still be fairly early in your uni journey when it has been resolved, which would be a factor in deciding whether to take the year out or not.

It all depends on what the medical advice is, and what your other options are. If you are going to take a year out - will you be able to perform work or other activities well too, for example? My advice would be to seek the opinion of a professional on how this can be resolved and then you'll know a rough timeline.

Having said that, it is likely that if you reached out to your university they would help. It's in their best interest to make sure that all students get the same opportunities to perform academically - including those with physical injuries. I would advise seeking their thoughts on your situation to see how they could help too. After all, an injury shouldn't hold you back if want to pursue your passion.

Hope this helps and good luck :smile:

James - Student Rep

.tb_button {padding:1px;cursor:tongue:ointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursor:tongue:ointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}

I suggest you consult with a GP & afterwards perhaps a physio.
Find out what is wrong and the recovery time.

Quick Reply