candydream
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello I'm new here😊 within a month I'll start with IGCSE German and I've been studying German for a year. Any recommended books or study tips?
Stumpy1001
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what made you want to learn German?

was it the thought of big men in leather shorts?
candydream
Rep:
?
various reasons
CuriouslyThe0ne
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can do Duolingo for your German where not only it's free but is kinda a stepping stone towards the language you want to learn. Wonndrium.com is also where there is a German professor teaching the language as you go along. You can also try to get Rosetta stone for German, watch shows that are in German, listen to German music and practice your pronunciation
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The best advice for GCSE German I have is to do 5 words per day on memrise or quizlet from the beginning, watch a youtube video in German once per week (make sure you listen to the sounds, even if you can't pick out many words you know to start with) and to keep a dedicated notebook where you write down mistakes you make that your teacher has corrected - write down what you originally wrote, highlight the mistake and then rewrite the sentence correctly below.
candydream
Rep:
?
at first I downloaded a sheet of full GCSE German vocabulary then I figured out it's better to learn new words in books and articles
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by candydream)
Hello I'm new here😊 within a month I'll start with IGCSE German and I've been studying German for a year. Any recommended books or study tips?
Hi,

Try changing your phone language to German for a bit! I did that during French IGCSE and A Level and it really helped me, being exposed to the language all the time. Also, it's a great way to learn vocab and get comfortable with it. Also, I recommend the app reverso context as it translates things, gives a definition, and it puts them into context of how it's actually used. It was super helpful! All the best with German, and I hope this was helpful! Anything else lmk!

Samantha, Official UoP Rep
coolschmool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The number one thing I'd say is to keep practising vocab and grammar consistently throughout the year as there's not really a shortcut for that and it's better to do it slowly than try to cram a whole vocab list say a week before an exam. Also learn your adjective endings- it will save you so much time and struggle in the long run! Finally, try to write down some impressive phrases for each topic that you can use in your writings, and also some general opinion phrases like meiner Meinung nach that you can use anywhere. I'll write some below, but I can't type umlauts so some of them will be missing that. Hope this helps!🥰

*Useful phrases for German*
~Es lasst sich nicht leugnen- it cannot be denied
~Ich habe den Eindruck, dass- I have the impression that
~Ich bin davon uberzeugt- I'm totally convinced
~Es steht fest- it's certain
~Es stimmt auf jeden/keinen Fall- it is by all/no means true
~Ich muss erwahnen- I must also mention
candydream
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi,

Try changing your phone language to German for a bit! I did that during French IGCSE and A Level and it really helped me, being exposed to the language all the time. Also, it's a great way to learn vocab and get comfortable with it. Also, I recommend the app reverso context as it translates things, gives a definition, and it puts them into context of how it's actually used. It was super helpful! All the best with German, and I hope this was helpful! Anything else lmk!

Samantha, Official UoP Rep
yeah reading is the best way to learn
candydream
Rep:
?
(Original post by coolschmool)
The number one thing I'd say is to keep practising vocab and grammar consistently throughout the year as there's not really a shortcut for that and it's better to do it slowly than try to cram a whole vocab list say a week before an exam. Also learn your adjective endings- it will save you so much time and struggle in the long run! Finally, try to write down some impressive phrases for each topic that you can use in your writings, and also some general opinion phrases like meiner Meinung nach that you can use anywhere. I'll write some below, but I can't type umlauts so some of them will be missing that. Hope this helps!🥰

*Useful phrases for German*
~Es lasst sich nicht leugnen- it cannot be denied
~Ich habe den Eindruck, dass- I have the impression that
~Ich bin davon uberzeugt- I'm totally convinced
~Es steht fest- it's certain
~Es stimmt auf jeden/keinen Fall- it is by all/no means true
~Ich muss erwahnen- I must also mention
that's great thank you :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (7)
4.96%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
17.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.02%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (20)
14.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
29.08%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (25)
17.73%

Watched Threads