Watch
Confusedgoose
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m 20, 5’10, 84kg
Here’s the problem.

Yoooo today I was squatting with my friend, struggled to get 120kgx3 squat just for one set. (been stuck on this weight for like 4weeks)
Then we did leg press and he pushed me to get 300kg for 14 reps (rom was pretty decent, thighs touched chest for most of it)
My deadlifts are fine too cause I got 210kg last week but tf is wrong with squats? Why is there such a substantial gap between those 2? :’(

From what iv seen online nd stuff, it’s probably my bracing, technique or weak core that’s bad.

It can’t be a weak core cause I do L sit holds nd **** with weights.
I asked an instructor to check my form last week and he said it was fine.
And bracing...idk how to do it differently? Hold ur breath in ur stomach, keep ur back and literally full torso tight and then squat, no?

Shall I just give up squats at this point nd do leg press?
My overall goal for squats was 170kg but that ain’t happening. At least leg press increases 💀

I’m stumped mannn
Last edited by Confusedgoose; 1 month ago
PrettymuchGod
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So I can only compare to myself at 95kg
I could do leg presses at 320-360 for around 14 reps some months ago but my squat wasn't good at all about 100kg maybe.
I'm tall so I prefer hex bar deadlifts but was on around the same 200ish kg some months ago.

I've been working on mostly legs for a few months and finally got my squat to approx 150kg for 8reps and the leg press definitely didn't help me get there, I had been struggling with squats whilst loading 300+ on the leg press sometime last year too.

The thing that helped my squats massively is using the v squat machine / hack squat machine where I could load a lot more weights than I'd feel safe doing on the bar. There's no easy comparison but I just did 12reps of 250kg on the v squat machine today and yesterday after doing the same I did 8 reps of 150kg on the bar squat after my legs were somewhat dead. So my advice through limited info mind you is that you find a v squat or hack squat machine and use that to improve instead of the bar itself.

The only issue I have now is that my v squat machine is maxed out in the weight it allows. I really would have loved to make a goal of 300kg in a few months then I'd feel safe trying 180-200kg squats solo but I guess I'm going to have to get inventive to reach that goal.
Last edited by PrettymuchGod; 1 month ago
Confusedgoose
Rep:
?
(Original post by PrettymuchGod)
I could do leg presses at 320-360 for around 14 reps some months ago but my squat wasn't good at all about 100kg maybe.
I'm tall so I prefer hex bar deadlifts but was on around the same 200ish kg some months ago.

I've been working on mostly legs for a few months and finally got my squat to approx 150kg for 8reps and the leg press definitely didn't help me get there, I had been struggling with squats whilst loading 300+ on the leg press sometime last year too.

The thing that helped my squats massively is using the v squat machine / hack squat machine where I could load a lot more weights than I'd feel safe doing on the bar. There's no easy comparison but I just did 12reps of 250kg on the v squat machine today and yesterday after doing the same I did 8 reps of 150kg on the bar squat after my legs were somewhat dead. So my advice through limited info mind you is that you find a v squat or hack squat machine and use that to improve instead of the bar itself.

The only issue I have now is that my v squat machine is maxed out in the weight it allows. I really would have loved to make a goal of 300kg in a few months then I'd feel safe trying 180-200kg squats solo but I guess I'm going to have to get inventive to reach that goal.
Thankkyouuuu so muchhh, I’ll silently cry cause my gym doesn’t have a hack squat 😭

(Btw u said limited info, what can I tell u to give me more tips? Hehe)

Is this an alternative that I could try? Just randomly found it rn
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EdtaJRBqwes

Could u add chains to your hack squat? Or this might sound ridiculous, probably a bad stupid idea - what if u use the resistance bands to tie more weights on? Idk I’m not much of a help 😔
lord shimada
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

how long did it take you to deadlift 200?
PrettymuchGod
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Confusedgoose)
Thankkyouuuu so muchhh, I’ll silently cry cause my gym doesn’t have a hack squat 😭

(Btw u said limited info, what can I tell u to give me more tips? Hehe)

Is this an alternative that I could try? Just randomly found it rn
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EdtaJRBqwes

Could u add chains to your hack squat? Or this might sound ridiculous, probably a bad stupid idea - what if u use the resistance bands to tie more weights on? Idk I’m not much of a help 😔
I haven't tried the barbell hack squat yet but it does look like it's worth trying!
Yea chains may work to increase it to some degree, I had the same idea but my initial thought is to find a new gym in a few months lol.

This video might be interesting to you:

I don't really have too much advice to give but I guess if you're going to use machines often, leg presses/hack squats, it's worth getting a strap for your knees.
Last edited by PrettymuchGod; 1 month ago
Confusedgoose
Rep:
?
I haven't tried the barbell hack squat yet but it does look like it's worth trying!
Yea chains may work to increase it to some degree, I had the same idea but my initial thought is to find a new gym in a few months lol.

This video might be interesting to you:

I don't really have too much advice to give but I guess if you're going to use machines often, leg presses/hack squats, it's worth getting a strap for your knees.
Thank you for the help bro <3333

Hf adjusting to the new gym when u move haha a new place always feels foreign right xD
username5778314
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm also a bit perplexed how someone can have a semi-decent deadlift but can only manage baby squats.

Bryce Krawczyk has a good technique video on the squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_ekvFybels

Basic technique aside, it is possible that you are not squatting frequently enough so that you haven't developed the neural pattern to balance/control yourself properly. Try squatting twice or three times a week if you aren't doing that already.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.51%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.79%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.23%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (68)
26.88%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.58%

Watched Threads